Benjamin C. Lee
Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer EngineeringBenjamin Lee's research focuses on scalable technologies, energy-efficient computer architectures, and high-performance applications. He is particularly interested in analytics, statistical inference, and machine learning to enable qualitatively new studies in these areas. He is also interested in technology, economics, and policy for environmentally sustainable information technology infrastructure.
Lee held an NSF Computing Innovation Fellowship at Stanford University (2009). He also held visiting research positions at Microsoft Research (2008), Intel Corporation (2007), and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (2006). He earned his B.S. from the University of California at Berkeley (2004) and his S.M., Ph.D. from Harvard University (2008).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 210 Hudson Hall, Box 90291, Durham, NC 27705
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5043
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Harvard University, 2008
The BCL Research Group performs research in the broadly defined area of computer engineering. We design new hardware architectures for emerging platforms, spanning datacenters to mobile devices. Moreover, we propose new hardware management strategies to ensure service quality for diverse users in complex systems. In design and management, we navigate fundamental relationships between performance, energy-efficiency, and fairness.
High Performance Computing
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Top Picks from Computer Architecture Conferences. IEEE Micro. 2015
- Nortel Networks Professorship. Duke University. 2013
- CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2012
- Faculty Research Award. Google. 2011
- Research Highlight. Communications of the ACM. 2011
- Research Highlight. Communications of the ACM. 2010
- Computing Innovation Fellowship. National Science Foundation. 2009
- Top Picks from Computer Architecture Conferences. IEEE Micro. 2009
- Best Paper Nomination. IEEE International Symposium on Microarchitecture. 2008
- Harvard University Nomination. ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award. 2008
- Invited Participant. St. Gallen Symposium. 2008
- Invited Participant. St. Gallen Symposium. 2007
- First Place, Student Research Competition. IEEE/ACM Supercomputing. 2006
- Best Paper. International Conference on Parallel Processing. 2004
- Engineering and Applied Sciences Fellowship. Harvard University. 2004
- Best Student Paper Finalist. IEEE/ACM Supercomputing . 2002
- COMPSCI 250: Computer Architecture
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- COMPSCI 550: Advanced Computer Architecture I
- COMPSCI 590: Advanced Topics in Computer Science
- ECE 250L: Computer Architecture
- ECE 391: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 552: Advanced Computer Architecture I
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- Lee, BC, Datacenter Design and Management: A Computer Architect's Perspective, vol 11 (2016), pp. 1-121 [10.2200/S00693ED1V01Y201601CAC037] [abs].
- Zahedi, SM; Lee, BC, Sharing Incentives and Fair Division for Multiprocessors, IEEE Micro, vol 35 no. 3 (2015), pp. 92-100 [10.1109/MM.2015.49] [abs].
- Lee, BC, Message from the general chair, ISPASS 2015 - IEEE International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software (2015) [10.1109/ISPASS.2015.7095776] [abs].
- Zahedi, SM; Lee, BC, REF: Resource elasticity fairness with sharing incentives for multiprocessors, International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems - ASPLOS (2014), pp. 145-159 [10.1145/2541940.2541962] [abs].
- Guevara, M; Lubin, B; Lee, BC, Market mechanisms for managing datacenters with heterogeneous microarchitectures, ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, vol 32 no. 1 (2014), pp. 1-31 [10.1145/2541258] [abs].