Bruce Randall Donald
James B. Duke Professor of Computer Science
Appointments and Affiliations
- James B. Duke Professor of Computer Science
- Professor of Computer Science
- Professor of Biochemistry
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Bass Fellow
- Office Phone: (919) 660-6583
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1987
- B.A. Yale University, 1980
Computational Biology, Computational Chemistry, Structural Biology, Biochemistry, Protein Design, Drug Design, NMR of Biological Macromolecules, Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS), Micro-robotics, Geometric Algorithms
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2011
- Fellow. Association for Computing Machinery. 2009
- Fellowship. John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. 2001
- BIOCHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- BIOCHEM 593: Research Independent Study
- CBB 590: Special Topics in Computational Biology
- CBB 663: Algorithms in Structural Biology and Biophysics
- COMPSCI 230: Discrete Math for Computer Science
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- COMPSCI 590: Advanced Topics in Computer Science
- COMPSCI 663: Algorithms in Structural Biology and Biophysics
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Do Kwon, Y; Pancera, M; Acharya, P; Georgiev, IS; Crooks, ET; Gorman, J; Joyce, MG; Guttman, M; Ma, X; Narpala, S; Soto, C; Terry, DS; Yang, Y; Zhou, T; Ahlsen, G; Bailer, RT; Chambers, M; Chuang, GY; Doria-Rose, NA; Druz, A; Hallen, MA; Harned, A; Kirys, T; Louder, MK; O'Dell, S; Ofek, G; Osawa, K; Prabhakaran, M; Sastry, M; Stewart-Jones, GB; Stuckey, J; Thomas, PV; Tittley, T; Williams, C; Zhang, B; Zhao, H; Zhou, Z; Donald, BR; Lee, LK; Zolla-Pazner, S; Baxa, U; Schön, A; Freire, E; Shapiro, L; Lee, KK; Arthos, J; Munro, JB; Blanchard, SC; Mothes, W; Binley, JM; McDermott, AB; Mascola, JR; Kwong, PD, Crystal structure, conformational fixation and entry-related interactions of mature ligand-free HIV-1 Env., Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, vol 22 no. 7 (2015), pp. 522-531 [10.1038/nsmb.3051] [abs].
- Roberts, KE; Donald, BR, Improved energy bound accuracy enhances the efficiency of continuous protein design., Proteins: Structure, Function and Bioinformatics, vol 83 no. 6 (2015), pp. 1151-1164 [10.1002/prot.24808] [abs].
- Hallen, MA; Gainza, P; Donald, BR, Compact representation of continuous energy surfaces for more efficient protein design., Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation, vol 11 no. 5 (2015), pp. 2292-2306 [10.1021/ct501031m] [abs].
- Martin, JW; Zhou, P; Donald, BR, Systematic solution to homo-oligomeric structures determined by NMR., Proteins: Structure, Function and Bioinformatics, vol 83 no. 4 (2015), pp. 651-661 [10.1002/prot.24768] [abs].
- Reeve, SM; Gainza, P; Frey, KM; Georgiev, I; Donald, BR; Anderson, AC, Protein design algorithms predict viable resistance to an experimental antifolate., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 112 no. 3 (2015), pp. 749-754 [10.1073/pnas.1411548112] [abs].