Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Assistant Professor - Track V in Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Member of the Duke Clinical Research Institute
- Office Location: Hudson Hall 165, 100 Science Dr, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5421
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2015
Machine learning, predictive modeling, health data science, statistical neuroscience
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 692: Independent Study: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- EGR 190: Special Topics in Engineering
In the News
- David Carlson: Engineering and Machine Learning for Better Medicine (Jan 9, 2018 | Duke Research Blog)
- David Carlson: Generating Scientific Understanding from Machine Learning (Aug 24, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Norris, C; Fang, L; Barkjohn, KK; Carlson, D; Zhang, Y; Mo, J; Li, Z; Zhang, J; Cui, X; Schauer, JJ; Davis, A; Black, M; Bergin, MH, Sources of volatile organic compounds in suburban homes in Shanghai, China, and the impact of air filtration on compound concentrations., Chemosphere, vol 231 (2019), pp. 256-268 [10.1016/j.chemosphere.2019.05.059] [abs].
- Carlson, D; Carin, L, Continuing progress of spike sorting in the era of big data., Current Opinion in Neurobiology, vol 55 (2019), pp. 90-96 [10.1016/j.conb.2019.02.007] [abs].
- Zheng, T; Bergin, MH; Johnson, KK; Tripathi, SN; Shirodkar, S; Landis, MS; Sutaria, R; Carlson, DE, Field evaluation of low-cost particulate matter sensors in high-and low-concentration environments, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, vol 11 no. 8 (2018), pp. 4823-4846 [10.5194/amt-11-4823-2018] [abs].
- Goldstein, BA; Carlson, D; Bhavsar, NA, Subject Matter Knowledge in the Age of Big Data and Machine Learning., Jama Network Open, vol 1 no. 4 (2018) [10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.1568] [abs].
- Hultman, R; Ulrich, K; Sachs, BD; Blount, C; Carlson, DE; Ndubuizu, N; Bagot, RC; Parise, EM; Vu, M-AT; Gallagher, NM; Wang, J; Silva, AJ; Deisseroth, K; Mague, SD; Caron, MG; Nestler, EJ; Carin, L; Dzirasa, K, Brain-wide Electrical Spatiotemporal Dynamics Encode Depression Vulnerability., Cell, vol 173 no. 1 (2018), pp. 166-180.e14 [10.1016/j.cell.2018.02.012] [abs].