Adjunct Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer EngineeringMultiple successful company spin-outs, mergers and acquisitions, as well as approximately $400M in contract research & development (CRAD) awards (from 1998 to present) focused on robot mobility, perception, manipulation, motion planning, self-localization and control; semi- and fully-autonomous robots; single- and multi-domain (air, water, space and ground) robots. Applications of this research have included Cargo Unmanned Ground Vehicle (CUGV) for the USMC, NASA, DARPA Urban Challenge and DARPA Grand Challenge; ASW, counter-mine and counter-obstacle (CMCO) underwater robots for the Navy, ONR and DARPA; nuclear-grade robotic systems for boiler water reactor and tank inspection; pharmacy automation for order preparation (RxMedic); wall- and ceiling climbing robots for DARPA, military, nuclear, law-enforcement, security and entertainment (Avionic Instruments/Vortex HC); Autonomous and Unmanned Underwater Vehicles for DARPA, ONR and private sector (Nekton/iRobot); Lighten-the-Load (LTL) autonomy and vision-based perception for the Army, NVESD, and DARPA; etc.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 225-1724
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ECE 383: Introduction to Robotics and Automation
- ME 442: Introduction to Robotics and Automation
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- Janet, J, Automation is Changing Pharmacy: How Reducing Repetition Behind the Counter Improves Over the Counter Care, Insight Magazine (2010) [abs].
- Janet, J, Automate Your Profits, Insight Magazine (2009) [abs].
- Janet, J; Reinfeld, D; Wiedeman, B, Vortex Regenerative Air Movement: Attraction and Attachment on Vertical and Inverted Surfaces— A Simple Method for Static and Mobile Robots for Climbing Walls and Ceilings (2003) [abs].
- Janet, J; Schulz, B; Hobson, B; Kemp, M; Moody, R; Pell, C; Pinnix, H; Pollard, J; Crenshaw, H, MicroAUVs I: Platform Design and Multi-Agent System Deployment, Unmanned Untethered Submersible Technology (UUST) (2001) [abs].
- Kemp, M; Hobson, B; Pell, C; Tytell, E; Janet, J, Assessing the Performance of Oscillating Fin Thruster Vehicles, Unmanned Untethered Submersible Technology (UUST) (2001) [abs].