Professor of MathematicsProfessor Harer's primary research is in the use of geometric, combinatorial and computational techniques to study a variety of problems in data analysis, shape recognition, image segmentation, tracking, brain imaging, biological networks and gene expression.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Mathematics
- Office Location: 109 Physic Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2845
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley, 1979
- B.A. Harvard University, 1974
Professor Harer's primary research is in the use of geometric, combinatorial and computational techniques to study a variety of problems in data analysis, shape recognition, image segmentation, tracking, brain imaging, biological networks and gene expression.
- BIOLOGY 218: Biological Clocks: How Organisms Keep Time
- MATH 190: Special Topics in Mathematics
- MATH 412: Topology with Applications
- MATH 611: Algebraic Topology I
- MATH 790-90: Minicourse in Advanced Topics
- MATH 799: Special Readings
- McGoff, KA; Guo, X; Deckard, A; Kelliher, CM; Leman, AR; Francey, LJ; Hogenesch, JB; Haase, SB; Harer, JL, The Local Edge Machine: inference of dynamic models of gene regulation., Genome Biology: biology for the post-genomic era, vol 17 no. 1 (2016) [abs].
- Bendich, P; Gasparovic, E; Harer, J; Tralie, C, Geometric models for musical audio data, LIPIcs, vol 51 (2016), pp. 65.1-65.5 [10.4230/LIPIcs.SoCG.2016.65] [abs].
- Bendich, P; Gasparovic, E; Harer, J; Izmailov, R; Ness, L, Multi-scale local shape analysis and feature selection in machine learning applications, Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, vol 2015-September (2015) [10.1109/IJCNN.2015.7280428] [abs].
- Perea, JA; Deckard, A; Haase, SB; Harer, J, SW1PerS: Sliding windows and 1-persistence scoring; discovering periodicity in gene expression time series data., BMC Bioinformatics, vol 16 (2015) [10.1186/s12859-015-0645-6] [abs].
- Rouse, D; Watkins, A; Porter, D; Harer, J; Bendich, P; Strawn, N; Munch, E; Desena, J; Clarke, J; Gilbert, J; Chin, S; Newman, A, Feature-aided multiple hypothesis tracking using topological and statistical behavior classifiers, Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, vol 9474 (2015) [10.1117/12.2179555] [abs].