Professor of MathematicsProfessor Harer's primary research is in the use of geometric, combinatorial and computational techniques to study a variety of problems in data analysis, shape recognition, image segmentation, tracking, brain imaging, biological networks and gene expression.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Mathematics
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2845
- Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley, 1979
- B.A. Harvard University, 1974
Professor Harer's primary research is in the use of geometric, combinatorial and computational techniques to study a variety of problems in data analysis, shape recognition, image segmentation, tracking, brain imaging, biological networks and gene expression.
- BIOLOGY 218: Biological Clocks: How Organisms Keep Time
- MATH 190: Special Topics in Mathematics
- MATH 221: Linear Algebra and Applications
- MATH 573S: Modeling of Biological Systems
- MATH 611: Algebraic Topology I
- MATH 790-90: Minicourse in Advanced Topics
- MATH 799: Special Readings
- Perea, JA; Deckard, A; Haase, SB; Harer, J, SW1PerS: Sliding windows and 1-persistence scoring; discovering periodicity in gene expression time series data., BMC Bioinformatics, vol 16 (2015) [abs].
- Munch, E; Turner, K; Bendich, P; Mukherjee, S; Mattingly, J; Harer, J, Probabilistic Fréchet means for time varying persistence diagrams, Electronic Journal of Statistics, vol 9 no. 1 (2015), pp. 1173-1204 [10.1214/15-EJS1030] [abs].
- Farr, RS; Harer, JL; Fink, TM, Easily repairable networks: reconnecting nodes after damage., Physical Review Letters, vol 113 no. 13 (2014) [abs].
- Turner, K; Mileyko, Y; Mukherjee, S; Harer, J, Fréchet Means for Distributions of Persistence Diagrams, Discrete & Computational Geometry, vol 52 no. 1 (2014), pp. 44-70 [10.1007/s00454-014-9604-7] [abs].
- Perea, JA; Harer, J, Sliding Windows and Persistence: An Application of Topological Methods to Signal Analysis, Foundations of Computational Mathematics, vol 15 no. 3 (2014), pp. 799-838 [10.1007/s10208-014-9206-z] [abs].