Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer EngineeringRobot motion planning and control, semiautonomous robots, and integrating perception and planning. Applications of this research have included automated vehicle collision avoidance, robotic manipulation, robot-assisted medicine, and legged locomotion.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science
- Office Location: 100 Science Dr Box 90291, Hudson Hall Rm 130, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5441
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2008
Research InterestsResearch interests include robot motion planning and control, semiautonomous robots, and integrating perception and planning. Past applications of this research have included automated vehicle collision avoidance, robotic manipulation, robot-assisted medicine, and legged locomotion.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Best Paper Award. IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots. 2015
- NSF CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2013
- Siebel Scholar Fellowship. Siebel Foundation. 2007
In the News
- Duke Students Create Robot for Amazon Challenge (Jul 17, 2017)
- Drones Take Research to New Heights (Mar 15, 2017 | Duke Magazine )
- Duke robotics gets an arm and a leg up (Apr 1, 2016)
- Duke Engineering Invaded by Robots! (Jun 11, 2015)
- Hauser, K, Robust contact generation for robot simulation with unstructured meshes, Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics, vol 114 (2016), pp. 357-373 [10.1007/978-3-319-28872-7_21] [abs].
- Hauser, K, Fast interpolation and time-optimization with contact, International Journal of Robotics Research, vol 33 no. 9 (2014), pp. 1231-1250 [10.1177/0278364914527855] [abs].
- Luo, J; Zhang, Y; Hauser, K; Park, HA; Paldhe, M; Lee, CSG; Grey, M; Stilman, M; Oh, JH; Lee, J; Kim, I; Oh, P, Robust ladder-climbing with a humanoid robot with application to the DARPA Robotics Challenge, Proceedings - IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2014), pp. 2792-2798 [10.1109/ICRA.2014.6907259] [abs].
- Hauser, K, The minimum constraint removal problem with three robotics applications, International Journal of Robotics Research, vol 33 no. 1 (2014), pp. 5-17 [10.1177/0278364913507795] [abs].
- Hauser, K, Minimum Constraint Displacement Motion Planning, Robotics: Science and Systems (2013) [abs].
- Zhang, Y; Hauser, K, Unbiased, scalable sampling of protein loop conformations from probabilistic priors., BMC Structural Biology, vol 13 Suppl 1 (2013) [10.1186/1472-6807-13-s1-s9] [abs].
- Bennett, CC; Hauser, K, Artificial intelligence framework for simulating clinical decision-making: a Markov decision process approach., Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol 57 no. 1 (2013), pp. 9-19 [10.1016/j.artmed.2012.12.003] [abs].
- Hauser, K; Latombe, J-C, Multi-modal Motion Planning in Non-expansive Spaces, International Journal of Robotics Research, vol 29 no. 7 (2010), pp. 897-915 [10.1177/0278364909352098] [abs].
- Hauser, K; Alterovitz, R; Chentanez, N; Okamura, A; Goldberg, K, Feedback control for steering needles through 3D deformable tissue using helical paths, vol 5 (2010), pp. 289-296 [abs].
- Chentanez, N; Alterovitz, R; Ritchie, D; Cho, L; Hauser, KK; Goldberg, K; Shewchuk, JR; O'Brien, JF, Interactive simulation of surgical needle insertion and steering, ACM Transactions on Graphics, vol 28 no. 3 (2009), pp. 1-1 [10.1145/1531326.1531394] [abs].