Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials ScienceMichael M. Zavlanos specializes in the area of networked control systems, distributed control and optimization, hybrid control, with applications to robotic, sensor, communication, and biomolecular networks.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 2008
A range of topics in the emerging discipline of networked systems, which studies systems of intelligent physical agents interacting via a communication medium in search of local control principles that determine global network behavior. Focus on robotic, sensor, and wireless networks that can be used for a variety of tasks including remote sensing, environmental monitoring and mapping, reliable long-range communications, or distributed mobile computing, to name a few. Particularly interested in hybrid, distributed, and robust solution techniques for integrated sensing, communication, computation, and control, that lie on the interface between control theory, distributed optimization, estimation, and networking.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Young Investigator Program Award. Office of Naval Research. 2014
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2012
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2011
- CEE 627: Linear System Theory
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- ECE 382: Linear Control Systems
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 344L: Control of Dynamic Systems
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 627: Linear System Theory
- Guo, M; Zavlanos, MM, Probabilistic Motion Planning under Temporal Tasks and Soft Constraints, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (2018) [10.1109/TAC.2018.2799561] [abs].
- Ma, WJ; Oh, C; Liu, Y; Dentcheva, D; Zavlanos, MM, Risk-Averse Access Point Selection in Wireless Communication Networks, IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems (2018) [10.1109/TCNS.2018.2792309] [abs].
- Freundlich, C; Zhang, Y; Zavlanos, MM, Distributed Hierarchical Control for State Estimation With Robotic Sensor Networks, IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems (2017) [10.1109/TCNS.2017.2782481] [abs].
- Lee, S; Zavlanos, MM, Approximate Projection Methods for Decentralized Optimization with Functional Constraints, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (2017) [10.1109/TAC.2017.2778696] [abs].
- Freundlich, C; Zhang, Y; Zhu, AZ; Mordohai, P; Zavlanos, MM, Controlling a robotic stereo camera under image quantization noise, International Journal of Robotics Research, vol 36 no. 12 (2017), pp. 1268-1285 [10.1177/0278364917735163] [abs].