Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Michael M. Zavlanos specializes in the area of networked control systems, distributed control and optimization, hybrid control, with applications to robotic, sensor, communication, and biomolecular networks.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 2008
A range of topics in the emerging discipline of networked systems, which studies systems of intelligent physical agents interacting via a communication medium in search of local control principles that determine global network behavior. Focus on robotic, sensor, and wireless networks that can be used for a variety of tasks including remote sensing, environmental monitoring and mapping, reliable long-range communications, or distributed mobile computing, to name a few. Particularly interested in hybrid, distributed, and robust solution techniques for integrated sensing, communication, computation, and control, that lie on the interface between control theory, distributed optimization, estimation, and networking.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- CEE 627: Linear System Theory
- ECE 382: Linear Control Systems
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 344L: Control of Dynamic Systems
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 627: Linear System Theory
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Chatzipanagiotis, N; Dentcheva, D; Zavlanos, MM, An augmented Lagrangian method for distributed optimization, Mathematical Programming, vol 152 no. 1-2 (2015), pp. 405-434 [10.1007/s10107-014-0808-7] [abs].
- Aranda, M; López-Nicolás, G; Sagüés, C; Zavlanos, MM, Coordinate-free formation stabilization based on relative position measurements, Automatica, vol 57 (2015), pp. 11-20 [10.1016/j.automatica.2015.03.030] [abs].
- Khodayi-Mehr, R; Aquino, W; Zavlanos, MM, Model-based sparse source identification, Proceedings of the American Control Conference, vol 2015-July (2015), pp. 1818-1823 [10.1109/ACC.2015.7170997] [abs].
- Freundlich, C; Mordohai, P; Zavlanos, MM, Optimal path planning and resource allocation for active target localization, Proceedings of the American Control Conference, vol 2015-July (2015), pp. 3088-3093 [10.1109/ACC.2015.7171807] [abs].
- Chatzipanagiotis, N; Zavlanos, MM, On the convergence rate of a Distributed Augmented Lagrangian optimization algorithm, Proceedings of the American Control Conference, vol 2015-July (2015), pp. 541-546 [10.1109/ACC.2015.7170791] [abs].