Qing Huo Liu
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Qing H. Liu received the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1989. His research interests have been in computational electromagnetics and acoustics, inverse problems, and their application in geophysics, nanophotonics, and biomedical imaging. He has published more than 280 refereed journal papers in these areas. He was a Research Assistant (September 1986 to December 1988) and then a Postdoctoral Research Associate (January 1989 to February 1990) in the Electromagnetics Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. From 1990 to 1995 he was a Research Scientist and then Program Leader with Schlumberger-Doll Research, Ridgefield, CT. From 1996 to 1999 he as an Associate Professor at New Mexico State University. Since June 1999 he has been with Duke University in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering where he is now a Full Professor.
Dr. Liu serves as an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, a Deputy Editor-in-Chief of Progress in Electromagnetics Research, and an Editor for the Journal of Computational Acoustics.
Dr. Liu received the 1996 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engneers (PECASE) from the White House National Science and Technology Council, the 1996 Early Career Research Award from the Environmental Protection Agency, and the 1997 CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation. He is a Fellow of the IEEE, a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America, and a Fellow of Electromagnetics Academy. He serves as the Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society for 2014-2016.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5440
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Illinois -- Urbana-Champaign, 1989
- M.S. Xiamen University (China), 1986
- B.S. Xiamen University (China), 1983
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2005
- ECE 571: Electromagnetic Theory
- ECE 577: Computational Electromagnetics
- ECE 578: Inverse Problems in Electromagnetics and Acoustics
- ECE 891: Internship
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Zhang, Y; Feng, N; Zheng, HH; Liu, QH, A corner-free truncation strategy for FDTD method in target scattering, Journal of Computational Physics, vol 302 (2015), pp. 567-572 [10.1016/j.jcp.2015.08.050] [abs].
- Song, Z; Zhu, J; Zhu, C; Yu, Z; Liu, Q, Broadband cross polarization converter with unity efficiency for terahertz waves based on anisotropic dielectric meta-reflectarrays, Materials Letters, vol 159 (2015), pp. 269-272 [10.1016/j.matlet.2015.07.024] [abs].
- Liu, N; Cai, G; Zhu, C; Tang, Y; Liu, QH, The Mixed Spectral-Element Method for Anisotropic, Lossy, and Open Waveguides, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol 63 no. 10 (2015), pp. 3094-3102 [10.1109/TMTT.2015.2472416] [abs].
- Yang, H; Li, T; Li, N; He, Z; Liu, QH, Efficient Near-Field Imaging for Single-Borehole Radar With Widely Separated Transceivers, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol 53 no. 10 (2015), pp. 5327-5337 [10.1109/TGRS.2015.2421478] [abs].
- Jibin, Z; Tao, S; Wentao, Z; Long, Z; Zheng, L; Qing, HL, ISAR Imaging of Nonuniformly Rotating Target Based on a Fast Parameter Estimation Algorithm of Cubic Phase Signal, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol 53 no. 9 (2015), pp. 4727-4740 [10.1109/TGRS.2015.2408350] [abs].