Qing Huo Liu
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Qing H. Liu received the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1989. His research interests have been in computational electromagnetics and acoustics, inverse problems, and their application in geophysics, nanophotonics, and biomedical imaging. He has published more than 280 refereed journal papers in these areas. He was a Research Assistant (September 1986 to December 1988) and then a Postdoctoral Research Associate (January 1989 to February 1990) in the Electromagnetics Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. From 1990 to 1995 he was a Research Scientist and then Program Leader with Schlumberger-Doll Research, Ridgefield, CT. From 1996 to 1999 he as an Associate Professor at New Mexico State University. Since June 1999 he has been with Duke University in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering where he is now a Full Professor.
Dr. Liu serves as an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, a Deputy Editor-in-Chief of Progress in Electromagnetics Research, and an Editor for the Journal of Computational Acoustics.
Dr. Liu received the 1996 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engneers (PECASE) from the White House National Science and Technology Council, the 1996 Early Career Research Award from the Environmental Protection Agency, and the 1997 CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation. He is a Fellow of the IEEE, a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America, and a Fellow of Electromagnetics Academy. He serves as the Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society for 2014-2016.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5440
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Illinois -- Urbana-Champaign, 1989
- M.S. Xiamen University (China), 1986
- B.S. Xiamen University (China), 1983
- ECE 571: Electromagnetic Theory
- ECE 577: Computational Electromagnetics
- ECE 578: Inverse Problems in Electromagnetics and Acoustics
- ECE 891: Internship
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- C. Yu and M. Q. Yuan and J. Stang and E. Bresslour and R. T. George and G. A. Ybarra and W. T. Joines and Q. H. Liu, Active microwave imaging II: 3-D system prototype and image reconstruction from experimental data, Ieee Transactions On Microwave Theory And Techniques, vol 56 no. 4 (2008), pp. 991 -- 1000 [abs].
- T. Xiao and Q. H. Liu, A 3-D enlarged cell technique (ECT) for the conformal FDTD method, Ieee Transactions On Antennas And Propagation, vol 56 no. 3 (2008), pp. 765 -- 773 [abs].
- K. H. Lim and J. H. Lee and Q. H. Liu, Thermoacoustic tomography forward modeling with the spectral element method, Medical Physics, vol 35 no. 1 (2008), pp. 4 -- 12 [abs].
- J. Song and Q. H. Liu and G. A. Johnson and C. T. Badea, Sparseness prior based iterative image reconstruction for retrospectively gated cardiac micro-CT, Medical Physics, vol 34 no. 11 (2007), pp. 4476 -- 4483 [abs].
- Wei, B. and Simsek, E. and Liu, Q.H., Improved diagonal tensor approximation (DTA) and hybrid DTA/BCGS-FFT method for accurate simulation of 3D inhomogeneous objects in layered media, Waves in Random and Complex Media, vol 17 no. 1 (2007), pp. 55 - 66  [abs].