Roarke W. Horstmeyer
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Roarke Horstmeyer is an assistant professor within Duke's Biomedical Engineering Department. He develops microscopes, cameras and computer algorithms for a wide range of applications, from forming 3D reconstructions of organisms to detecting neural activity deep within tissue. His areas of interest include optics, signal processing, optimization and neuroscience. Most recently, Dr. Horstmeyer was a guest professor at the University of Erlangen in Germany and an Einstein postdoctoral fellow at Charitè Medical School in Berlin. Prior to his time in Germany, Dr. Horstmeyer earned a PhD from Caltech’s electrical engineering department in 2016, a master of science degree from the MIT Media Lab in 2011, and a bachelors degree in physics and Japanese from Duke University in 2006.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: 1007 Burch Ave, Durham, NC 27701
- Office Phone: (650) 686-1368
- Email Address: email@example.com
Computational optics, machine learning, and designing new algorithms for image processing. A main focus is to improve how we capture and use images of microscopic phenomena within a range of biomedical contexts. In general, I like to create new optical devices that can improve the utility of the information that we can gather about the world around us.
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- Kadobianskyi, M; Papadopoulos, IN; Chaigne, T; Horstmeyer, R; Judkewitz, B, Scattering correlations of time-gated light, Optica, vol 5 no. 4 (2018), pp. 389-394 [10.1364/OPTICA.5.000389] [abs].
- Osnabrugge, G; Horstmeyer, R; Papadopoulos, IN; Judkewitz, B; Vellekoop, IM, Generalized optical memory effect, Optica, vol 4 no. 8 (2017), pp. 886-892 [10.1364/OPTICA.4.000886] [abs].
- Ryu, D; Wang, Z; He, K; Zheng, G; Horstmeyer, R; Cossairt, O, Subsampled phase retrieval for temporal resolution enhancement in lensless on-chip holographic video., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 8 no. 3 (2017), pp. 1981-1995 [10.1364/BOE.8.001981] [abs].
- Wang, Z; Dai, Q; Ryu, D; He, K; Horstmeyer, R; Katsaggelos, AK; Cossairt, O, Dictionary-based phase retrieval for space-time super resolution using lens-free on-chip holographic video, Optics Infobase Conference Papers, vol Part F46-COSI 2017 (2017) [10.1364/COSI.2017.CTu2B.3] [abs].
- Wang, Z; Ryu, D; He, K; Horstmeyer, R; Katsaggelos, A; Cossairt, O, High-speed holographic imaging using compressed sensing and phase retrieval, Smart Structures and Materials 2005: Active Materials: Behavior and Mechanics, vol 10222 (2017) [10.1117/12.2262737] [abs].