Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical EngineeringI am the director of the Vision and Image Processing (VIP) Laboratory. Along with my colleagues, we investigate how to improve early diagnostic methods and find new imaging biomarkers of ocular and neurological diseases in adults (e.g. age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, Glaucoma, Alzheimer) and children (e.g. retinopathy or prematurity). We also develop automatic segmentation algorithms to detect/segment/quantify anatomical/pathological structures seen on medical images.
On another front, we study efficient signal processing based methods to overcome the theoretical and practical limitations that constrain the achievable resolution of any imaging device. Our approach, which is based on adaptive extraction and robust fusion of relevant information from the expensive and sophisticated as well as simple and cheap sensors, has found wide applications in improving the quality of imaging systems such as ophthalmic SD-OCT, digital X-ray mammography, electronic and optical microscopes, and commercial digital camcorders. We are also interested in pursuing statistical signal processing based projects, including super-resolution, demosaicing, deblurring, denoising, motion estimation, compressive sensing/adaptive sampling, and sensor fusion.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- BME 271: Signals and Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 544: Digital Image Processing (IM or GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
In the News
- At Duke, sibling sleuths try to unlock mummy mystery (Mar 4, 2016 | The News & Observer )
- Eye test could detect dementia (Apr 29, 2015 | The Daily Mail, Australian Associated Press )
- Sina Farsiu: Biomedical Engineer Processes an Avalanche of Images (Aug 29, 2014)
- Duke Labs Produce 2 Intel Talent Search Finalists (Feb 10, 2014 | Duke Research Blog )
- Estrada, R; Tomasi, C; Schmidler, SC; Farsiu, S, Tree Topology Estimation., IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol 37 no. 8 (2015), pp. 1688-1701 [abs].
- Chiu, SJ; Allingham, MJ; Mettu, PS; Cousins, SW; Izatt, JA; Farsiu, S, Kernel regression based segmentation of optical coherence tomography images with diabetic macular edema., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 6 no. 4 (2015), pp. 1172-1194 [abs].
- Polans, J; McNabb, RP; Izatt, JA; Farsiu, S, Compressed wavefront sensing., Optics Letters, vol 39 no. 5 (2014), pp. 1189-1192 [abs].
- Srinivasan, PP; Heflin, SJ; Izatt, JA; Arshavsky, VY; Farsiu, S, Automatic segmentation of up to ten layer boundaries in SD-OCT images of the mouse retina with and without missing layers due to pathology., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 5 no. 2 (2014), pp. 348-365 [abs].
- Fang, L; Li, S; McNabb, RP; Nie, Q; Kuo, AN; Toth, CA; Izatt, JA; Farsiu, S, Fast acquisition and reconstruction of optical coherence tomography images via sparse representation., IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol 32 no. 11 (2013), pp. 2034-2049 [10.1109/TMI.2013.2271904] [abs].
- Estrada, R; Tomasi, C; Cabrera, MT; Wallace, DK; Freedman, SF; Farsiu, S, Exploratory Dijkstra forest based automatic vessel segmentation: applications in video indirect ophthalmoscopy (VIO)., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 3 no. 2 (2012), pp. 327-339 [10.1364/BOE.3.000327] [abs].
- Chiu, SJ; Izatt, JA; O'Connell, RV; Winter, KP; Toth, CA; Farsiu, S, Validated automatic segmentation of AMD pathology including drusen and geographic atrophy in SD-OCT images., Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 53 no. 1 (2012), pp. 53-61 [10.1167/iovs.11-7640] [abs].
- Estrada, R; Tomasi, C; Cabrera, MT; Wallace, DK; Freedman, SF; Farsiu, S, Enhanced video indirect ophthalmoscopy (VIO) via robust mosaicing., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 2 no. 10 (2011), pp. 2871-2887 [10.1364/BOE.2.002871] [abs].
- Robinson, MD; Toth, CA; Lo, JY; Farsiu, S, Efﬁcient fourier-wavelet super-resolution., IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol 19 no. 10 (2010), pp. 2669-2681 [10.1109/TIP.2010.2050107] [abs].
- Chiu, SJ; Li, XT; Nicholas, P; Toth, CA; Izatt, JA; Farsiu, S, Automatic segmentation of seven retinal layers in SDOCT images congruent with expert manual segmentation., Optics express, vol 18 no. 18 (2010), pp. 19413-19428 [abs].
- Farsiu, S; Christofferson, J; Eriksson, B; Milanfar, P; Friedlander, B; Shakouri, A; Nowak, R, Statistical detection and imaging of objects hidden in turbid media using ballistic photons., Applied Optics, vol 46 no. 23 (2007), pp. 5805-5822 [abs].
- Farsiu, S; Elad, M; Milanfar, P, Multiframe demosaicing and super-resolution of color images., IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol 15 no. 1 (2006), pp. 141-159 [abs].
- Farsiu, S; Robinson, MD; Elad, M; Milanfar, P, Fast and robust multiframe super resolution., IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol 13 no. 10 (2004), pp. 1327-1344 [abs].