Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials ScienceRESEARCH FIELDS
- Nanoscale Science of Energy
- Computational materials science
- Nanotube growth characterization
- Alloy theory
- Superlubricity on quasicrystals
- Superconductivity in Metal borides
- Genetic Approaches to QM Predictions of Materials Structures
- Materials for Nuclear Detection
The research is multidisciplinary and makes use of state of the art techniques from fields like materials science, chemistry, physics, quantum mechanics, mathematics and computer science.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Professor in the Department of Physics
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 144 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5310
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2003
- M.S. Pennsylvania State University, 1999
- M.S. University of Padua (Italy), 1995
Nanoscale science of energy, computational materials science, nanotube growth characterization, alloy theory, superlubricity on quasicrystals, superconductivity in metal borides, genetic approaches to QM predictions of materials structures, materials for nuclear detection. His multidisciplinary research that makes use of state-of-the-art techniques from fields like materials science, chemistry, physics, quantum mechanics, mathematics and computer science.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Best Paper Award. CALPHAD (Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry). 2008
- MRS Silver Medal Graduate Student Award. Materials Research Society. 2008
- NSF Early CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2008
- ONR Young Investigator Program Award. Office of Naval Research. 2008
- Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers. President of the United States of America. 2007
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
In the News
- D.I.Y. Crystal-Makers Get Refurbished Online Cookbook (Jun 2, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Can artificial intelligence create the next wonder material? (May 5, 2016 | Nature )
- Engineering Researchers Reveal New Class of Stable Oxides Based on Five or More Elements (Oct 1, 2015)
- Researchers Aim to Develop New Techniques for Creating High-Temperature Alloys (Aug 25, 2015)
- A Made-to-Order Materials Menu (Nov 17, 2014 | Duke Research Blog )
- Duke Engineers Use Brute Force Computing to Find New Materials (Jan 5, 2014)
- How supercomputers will yield a golden age of materials science (Nov 22, 2013 | Scientific American )
- Pratt Engineers Awarded Four Department of Defense Grants (Jun 18, 2013)
- Mehl, MJ; Hicks, D; Toher, C; Levy, O; Hanson, RM; Hart, G; Curtarolo, S, The AFLOW Library of Crystallographic Prototypes: Part 1, Computational Materials Science, vol 136 (2017), pp. S1-S828 [10.1016/j.commatsci.2017.01.017] [abs].
- Supka, AR; Lyons, TE; Liyanage, L; D’Amico, P; Al Rahal Al Orabi, R; Mahatara, S; Gopal, P; Toher, C; Ceresoli, D; Calzolari, A; Curtarolo, S; Nardelli, MB; Fornari, M, AFLOW π: A minimalist approach to high-throughput ab initio calculations including the generation of tight-binding hamiltonians, Computational Materials Science, vol 136 (2017), pp. 76-84 [10.1016/j.commatsci.2017.03.055] [abs].
- Isayev, O; Oses, C; Toher, C; Gossett, E; Curtarolo, S; Tropsha, A, Universal fragment descriptors for predicting properties of inorganic crystals., Nature Communications, vol 8 (2017) [10.1038/ncomms15679] [abs].
- Nath, P; Plata, JJ; Usanmaz, D; Toher, C; Fornari, M; Buongiorno Nardelli, M; Curtarolo, S, High throughput combinatorial method for fast and robust prediction of lattice thermal conductivity, Scripta Materialia, vol 129 (2017), pp. 88-93 [10.1016/j.scriptamat.2016.09.034] [abs].
- Nyshadham, C; Oses, C; Hansen, JE; Takeuchi, I; Curtarolo, S; Hart, GLW, A computational high-throughput search for new ternary superalloys, Acta Materialia, vol 122 (2017), pp. 438-447 [10.1016/j.actamat.2016.09.017] [abs].