Rhodes Family Professor of Electrical and Computer EngineeringA pioneer in communications and signal processing, Vahid Tarokh helped invent the space-time codes that provide signal redundancy during data transmission and are now used in most cellular phones, and also developed foundational approaches to cognitive radios and distributed communication techniques that are currently being deployed for sharing valuable spectral resources. Dr. Tarokh’s research has since evolved to pursuing new formulations and approaches to getting the most out of datasets. Current projects are focused on representation, modeling, inference and prediction from data such as determining how different people will respond to exposure to certain viruses, predicting rare events from small amounts of data, formulation and calculation of limits of learning from observations, and privacy and security for the Internet of Things.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Rhodes Family Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Computer Science
- Professor of Mathematics
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Waterloo (Canada), 1995
Representation, modeling, inference and prediction from data
In the News
- Vahid Tarokh: Turning Patterns in Data into Products and Predictions (Nov 6, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Tarokh, V; Naguib, A; Seshadri, N; Calderbank, AR, Erratum: Space-time codes for high data rate wireless communications: Performance criteria in the presence of channel estimation errors, mobility, and multiple paths (IEEE Trans. Commun. (1999) 47, (199-207)), IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol 51 no. 12 (2003) [10.1109/TCOMM.2003.822179] [abs].
- Tarokh, V; Jafarkhani, H; Calderbank, AR, Space-time block coding for wireless communications: Performance results, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol 17 no. 3 (1999), pp. 451-460 [10.1109/49.753730] [abs].
- Tarokh, V; Jafarkhani, H; Calderbank, AR, Space-time block codes from orthogonal designs, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol 45 no. 5 (1999), pp. 1456-1467 [10.1109/18.771146] [abs].
- Tarokh, V; Naguib, A; Seshadri, N; Calderbank, AR, Recent progress in space-time block and trellis coding, IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory - Proceedings (1998) [10.1109/ISIT.1998.708919] [abs].
- Tarokh, V; Jafarkhani, H; Calderbank, AR, The application of orthogonal designs to wireless communication, 1998 Information Theory Workshop, ITW 1998 (1998), pp. 46-47 [10.1109/ITW.1998.706408] [abs].