There are several programs within Pratt that give undergrads research opportunities while earning credit. Each program offers distinct opportunities.
- Pratt Undergraduate Research Fellows - Three semesters of independent study, plus summer research.
- Grand Challenge Scholars Program - Flexible curriculum focused on a societal grand challenge. Includes research, courses outside of engineering, and training/experience in entrepreneurship, and both a global and service learning component.
- Duke Smart Home Fellows - One or more semester of independent study focused on smart technology and/or sustainable living.
- At Pratt and across Duke, Bass Connections brings faculty and students together as interdisciplinary research teams to explore big questions about major societal challenges. Most teams last for two semesters; some have a summer component.
Undergraduate students can conduct intensive, hands-on research for academic credit by taking independent study courses (See department courses: BME, CEE, ECE, MEMS). Independent study can qualify you for Graduation with Departmental Distinction. And, with some planning, these courses can be a part of several of our signature research programs described below.
Independent Study + You Pick the Faculty
If you decide not to pursue one of the research programs above--or just want more flexibility for your independent study--explore the research interests of Pratt's engineering faculty. With the right match of interests, you can work with faculty from any department--not just faculty from your department/major.
- Biomedical Engineering Faculty - Listing of BME faculty, including those with appointments in the Duke School of Medicine
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty - Listing of CEE faculty, including those with joint appointments with the Nicholas School for the Environment and Earth Sciences
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Faculty - Listing of ECE faculty
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science Faculty - Listing of MEMS faculty
Or you can look at campus-wide research, internship or job opportunities. DukeList includes listings of on-campus research (paid and unpaid) and leadership opportunities for students, as well as on-campus jobs.