Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Robot motion planning and control, semiautonomous robots, and integrating perception and planning. Applications of this research have included automated vehicle collision avoidance, robotic manipulation, robot-assisted medicine, and legged locomotion.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 304 Research Dr, North Building Rm 135, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5441
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2008
Robot motion planning and control, semiautonomous robots, and integrating perception and planning
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Best Paper Award. IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots. 2015
- NSF CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2013
- Siebel Scholar Fellowship. Siebel Foundation. 2007
- COMPSCI 270: Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- ECE 290: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 292: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 383: Introduction to Robotics and Automation
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 489: Advanced Robot System Design
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 442: Introduction to Robotics and Automation
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
In the News
- This Robot Is Falling, But It Never Lands (Jul 19, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- The Workplace of the Future (Aug 30, 2017)
- Amazon revs up its robotics challenge at RoboCup, with $250,000 in prizes at stake (Jul 26, 2017 | GeekWire)
- Duke Students Create Robot for Amazon Challenge (Jul 17, 2017)
- Drones Take Research to New Heights (Mar 15, 2017 | Duke Magazine)
- Duke robotics gets an arm and a leg up (Apr 1, 2016)
- Duke Engineering Invaded by Robots! (Jun 11, 2015)
- Kris Hauser: Keeping Robots Upright (Sep 2, 2014 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Hauser, K, Robust Contact Generation for Robot Simulation with Unstructured Meshes, Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics (2016), pp. 357-373 [10.1007/978-3-319-28872-7_21] [abs].
- , Fast interpolation and time-optimization with contact, International Journal of Robotics Research, vol 33 no. 9 (2014), pp. 1231-1250 [10.1177/0278364914527855] [abs].
- , Robust ladder-climbing with a humanoid robot with application to the DARPA Robotics Challenge, Proceedings Ieee International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2014), pp. 2792-2798 [10.1109/ICRA.2014.6907259] [abs].
- Hauser, K, The minimum constraint removal problem with three robotics applications, International Journal of Robotics Research, vol 33 no. 1 (2014), pp. 5-17 [10.1177/0278364913507795] [abs].
- Hauser, K, Minimum Constraint Displacement Motion Planning, Robotics: Science and Systems (2013) [abs].
- Zhang, Y; Hauser, K, Unbiased, scalable sampling of protein loop conformations from probabilistic priors., Bmc Structural Biology, vol 13 Suppl 1 (2013) [10.1186/1472-6807-13-s1-s9] [abs].
- Bennett, CC; Hauser, K, Artificial intelligence framework for simulating clinical decision-making: a Markov decision process approach., Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol 57 no. 1 (2013), pp. 9-19 [10.1016/j.artmed.2012.12.003] [abs].
- Hauser, K; Latombe, J-C, Multi-modal Motion Planning in Non-expansive Spaces, International Journal of Robotics Research, vol 29 no. 7 (2010), pp. 897-915 [10.1177/0278364909352098] [abs].
- , Feedback control for steering needles through 3D deformable tissue using helical paths, Robotics: Science and Systems, vol 5 (2010), pp. 289-296 [abs].
- Chentanez, N; Alterovitz, R; Ritchie, D; Cho, L; Hauser, KK; Goldberg, K; Shewchuk, JR; O'Brien, JF, Interactive simulation of surgical needle insertion and steering, Acm Transactions on Graphics, vol 28 no. 3 (2009), pp. 1-1 [10.1145/1531326.1531394] [abs].