Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials ScienceMichael M. Zavlanos specializes in the area of networked control systems, distributed control and optimization, hybrid control, with applications to robotic, sensor, communication, and biomolecular networks.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 2008
A range of topics in the emerging discipline of networked systems, which studies systems of intelligent physical agents interacting via a communication medium in search of local control principles that determine global network behavior. Focus on robotic, sensor, and wireless networks that can be used for a variety of tasks including remote sensing, environmental monitoring and mapping, reliable long-range communications, or distributed mobile computing, to name a few. Particularly interested in hybrid, distributed, and robust solution techniques for integrated sensing, communication, computation, and control, that lie on the interface between control theory, distributed optimization, estimation, and networking.
- CEE 627: Linear System Theory
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- ECE 382: Linear Control Systems
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 344L: Control of Dynamic Systems
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 627: Linear System Theory
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
- Chatzipanagiotis, N; Zavlanos, MM, On the Convergence of a Distributed Augmented Lagrangian Method for Nonconvex Optimization, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol 62 no. 9 (2017), pp. 4405-4420 [10.1109/TAC.2017.2658438] [abs].
- Guo, M; Zavlanos, MM, Distributed data gathering with buffer constraints and intermittent communication, Proceedings - IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2017), pp. 279-284 [10.1109/ICRA.2017.7989036] [abs].
- Kantaros, Y; Zavlanos, MM, Distributed Intermittent Connectivity Control of Mobile Robot Networks, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol 62 no. 7 (2017), pp. 3109-3121 [10.1109/TAC.2016.2626400] [abs].
- Ma, WJ; Dentcheva, D; Zavlanos, MM, Risk-averse sensor planning using distributed policy gradient, Proceedings of the American Control Conference (2017), pp. 4839-4844 [10.23919/ACC.2017.7963704] [abs].
- Kantaros, Y; Zavlanos, MM, Sampling-based control synthesis for multi-robot systems under global temporal specifications, Proceedings - 2017 ACM/IEEE 8th International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems, ICCPS 2017 (part of CPS Week) (2017), pp. 3-13 [10.1145/3055004.3055027] [abs].