April S. Brown
John Cocke Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt , Jr. School of EngineeringDr. April Brown recieved her B.S.E.E. from North Carolina State University in 1981, her M.S.E.E. and Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1984 and 1985, respectively. She worked at the Hughes Research Laboratories (now HRL LLC) in Malibu, Ca. from 1986-1993, and spent one year at the Army Research Office in the Physics Division (1988). She joined the Georgia Insitutute of Technology in 1994 as an Associate Professor and was promoted to Professor in 1999. She was Associate Dean in the College of Engineering from 1999-2001 and Executive Assistant to the President from 2001-2002. In addition, she was named Pettit Professor in Microelectronics in 2001. She joined Duke University as Professor and Chair in July 2002. She is currently Sr. Associate Dean for Research in the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke
Appointments and Affiliations
- John Cocke Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt , Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3573 CIEMAS, Box 90291, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5442
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Cornell University, 1985
Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Nanoscale/microscale computing systems
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. American Physical Society. 2011
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 1998
- Paul Rappaport Award. IEEE Electron Devices Society. 1992
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 524: Introduction to Solid-State Physics
In the News
- Perpetual 'Ice Water': Stable Solid-Liquid State Revealed in Nanoparticles (Aug 4, 2016)
- Pratt's April Brown to Lead U.S. Army in Engineering Science Research (Jan 20, 2015)
- Losurdo, M; Suvorova, A; Rubanov, S; Hingerl, K; Brown, AS, Thermally stable coexistence of liquid and solid phases in gallium nanoparticles., Nature Materials, vol 15 no. 9 (2016), pp. 995-1002 [10.1038/nmat4705] [abs].
- Collar, K; Kim, T-H; Losurdo, M; Brown, AS, The characteristics of MBE-grown In x Al 1−x N/GaN surface states, Applied Physics Letters, vol 109 no. 8 (2016), pp. 082103-082103 [10.1063/1.4961583] [abs].
- Kong, W; Jiao, WY; Li, JC; Collar, K; Leach, JH; Fournelle, J; Kim, TH; Brown, AS, Structural Characterization of the Nanocolumnar Microstructure of InAlN, Journal of Electronic Materials, vol 45 no. 1 (2016), pp. 654-660 [10.1007/s11664-015-4167-9] [abs].
- Kong, W; Roberts, AT; Jiao, WY; Fournelle, J; Kim, TH; Losurdo, M; Everitt, HO; Brown, AS, Room temperature Ultraviolet B emission from InAlGaN films synthesized by plasma-assisted molecular beam epitaxy, Applied Physics Letters, vol 107 no. 13 (2015), pp. 132102-132102 [10.1063/1.4931942] [abs].
- Brown, AS; Ptak, AJ, Preface of the 18th International Conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE 2014), Journal of Crystal Growth, vol 425 (2015), pp. 1-1 [10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2015.06.001] [abs].