April S. Brown
John Cocke Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt , Jr. School of EngineeringDr. April Brown recieved her B.S.E.E. from North Carolina State University in 1981, her M.S.E.E. and Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1984 and 1985, respectively. She worked at the Hughes Research Laboratories (now HRL LLC) in Malibu, Ca. from 1986-1993, and spent one year at the Army Research Office in the Physics Division (1988). She joined the Georgia Insitutute of Technology in 1994 as an Associate Professor and was promoted to Professor in 1999. She was Associate Dean in the College of Engineering from 1999-2001 and Executive Assistant to the President from 2001-2002. In addition, she was named Pettit Professor in Microelectronics in 2001. She joined Duke University as Professor and Chair in July 2002. She is currently Sr. Associate Dean for Research in the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke
Appointments and Affiliations
- John Cocke Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt , Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3573 CIEMAS, Box 90291, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5442
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Nanoscale/microscale computing systems
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. American Physical Society. 2011
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 1998
- Paul Rappaport Award. IEEE Electron Devices Society. 1992
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 545: Foundations of Nanoelectronics & Nanophotonics
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- EGR 90L: Introduction to Engineering
In the News
- Perpetual 'Ice Water': Stable Solid-Liquid State Revealed in Nanoparticles (Aug 4, 2016)
- Pratt's April Brown to Lead U.S. Army in Engineering Science Research (Jan 20, 2015)
- Kong, W; Roberts, AT; Jiao, WY; Fournelle, J; Kim, TH; Losurdo, M; Everitt, HO; Brown, AS, Room temperature Ultraviolet B emission from InAlGaN films synthesized by plasma-assisted molecular beam epitaxy, Applied Physics Letters, vol 107 no. 13 (2015), pp. 132102-132102 [10.1063/1.4931942] [abs].
- Brown, AS; Ptak, AJ, Preface of the 18th International Conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE 2014), Journal of Crystal Growth, vol 425 (2015), pp. 1-1 [10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2015.06.001] [abs].
- Giangregorio, MM; Jiao, W; Bianco, GV; Capezzuto, P; Brown, AS; Bruno, G; Losurdo, M, Insights into the effects of metal nanostructuring and oxidation on the work function and charge transfer of metal/graphene hybrids., Nanoscale, vol 7 no. 30 (2015), pp. 12868-12877 [10.1039/c5nr02610e] [abs].
- Kong, W; Jiao, WY; Li, JC; Collar, K; Kim, TH; Leach, JH; Brown, AS, Effect of strain in sputtered AlN buffer layers on the growth of GaN by molecular beam epitaxy, Applied Physics Letters, vol 107 no. 3 (2015), pp. 032102-032102 [10.1063/1.4927245] [abs].
- Luo, G; Yang, S; Li, J; Arjmand, M; Szlufarska, I; Brown, AS; Kuech, TF; Morgan, D, First-principles studies on molecular beam epitaxy growth of, Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, vol 92 no. 3 (2015) [10.1103/PhysRevB.92.035415] [abs].