Nan M. Jokerst
J. A. Jones Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of EngineeringDr. Nan Marie Jokerst is the J. A. Jones Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University, and the Executive Director of the Duke Shared Materials Instrumentation Facility, a Duke shared cleanroom and characterization facility. She received her BS in Physics from Creighton University in 1982, and her MS and PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Southern California in 1984 and 1989, respectively. She is a Fellow of the IEEE, and has served as an elected member of the IEEE LEOS Board of Governors, and as the VP for Conferences and as the VP Technical Affairs. She is a Fellow of the Optical Society of America, and has served as Chair of the OSA Engineering Council. Her awards include an NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award, an IEEE Third Millenium Medal, the IEEE/HP Harriet B. Rigas Medal, and the Alumni in Academia Award for the University of Southern California Viterbi School of Engineering. She currently serves on the National Academies Board on Global Science and Technology. She has published over 200 refereed journal and conference publications, and has 6 patents.
Appointments and Affiliations
- J. A. Jones Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: Fciemas 3589, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5503
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Southern California, 1989
- M.S.E.E. University of Southern California, 1984
- B.S. Creighton University, 1982
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2003
- Fellows. Optical Society of America. 2001
- ECE 340L: Optics and Photonics
- ECE 449: Sensors and Sensor Interface Design
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- PHYSICS 320L: Optics and Photonics
- VMS 325L: Optics and Photonics
In the News
- Academic Council Chair Looks Ahead to a Year of Strategic Plans, Equity and Diversity Studies (Sep 24, 2015)
- A UNC/Duke/NCSU collaboration could lead to next nano eureka (Sep 18, 2015 | Triangle Business Journal )
- Duke part of NSF-funded network to help businesses, educators pursue nanotechnology innovation (Sep 17, 2015)
- Convocation Message to New Grad & Professional Students: Think Big, Reach Out, Lead On (Aug 20, 2015)
- Pratt Professor Nan Jokerst Elected Chair of the Academic Council (Feb 24, 2015)
- Discovery Could Lead to End of Sunburn Pain (Aug 5, 2013)
- Adomanis, BM; Watts, CM; Koirala, M; Liu, X; Tyler, T; West, KG; Starr, T; Bringuier, JN; Starr, AF; Jokerst, NM; Padilla, WJ, Bi-layer metamaterials as fully functional near-perfect infrared absorbers, Applied Physics Letters, vol 107 no. 2 (2015) [10.1063/1.49264161] [abs].
- Adomanis, BM; Watts, CM; Koirala, M; Liu, X; Tyler, T; West, KG; Starr, T; Bringuier, JN; Starr, AF; Jokerst, NM; Padilla, WJ, Bi-layer metamaterials as fully functional near-perfect infrared absorbers, Applied Physics Letters, vol 107 no. 2 (2015), pp. 021107-021107 [10.1063/1.4926416] [abs].
- Senlik, O; Jokerst, NM, Concentric multi-pixel photodiode array probes for optical tissue characterization, Optical Sensors, Sensors 2015 (2015) [10.1364/SENSORS.2015.SeS1B.1] [abs].
- Senlik, O; Jokerst, NM, Concentric Si annular photodiode arrays for spatially resolved diffuse reflectance spectroscopy, CLEO: Applications and Technology, CLEO-AT 2015 (2015) [10.1364/CLEO_AT.2015.AM2J.4] [abs].
- Goldflam, MD; Liu, MK; Chapler, BC; Stinson, HT; Sternbach, AJ; McLeod, AS; Zhang, JD; Geng, K; Royal, M; Kim, B-J; Averitt, RD; Jokerst, NM; Smith, DR; Kim, H-T; Basov, DN, Voltage switching of a VO 2 memory metasurface using ionic gel, Applied Physics Letters, vol 105 no. 4 (2014), pp. 041117-041117 [10.1063/1.4891765] [abs].