David J. Brady
David Brady leads the Duke Imaging and Spectroscopy Program (DISP), which builds computational imaging systems. Current DISP projects focus on snapshot gigapixel photography using multiscale optics, x-ray scatter tomography, millimeter wave diffraction tomography, focal tomography and compressive spectral imaging.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Bass Fellow
- Michael J. Fitzpatrick Professor of Photonics in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5394
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, 1990
- M.S. California Institute of Technology, 1986
- B.A. Macalester College, 1984
DISP uses joint design of physical sampling and digital processing strategies to develop high performance sensor systems. DISP builds instruments for visible, infrared, ultraviolet, x-ray, millimeter wave, terahertz, acoustic and ion imaging and spectroscopy. DISP has made particular contributions to the theory and practice of compressive measurement systems and to spectral imaging, holography and diffraction tomography, optical projection tomography and high pixel count cameras.
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Dennis Gabor Award. International Society for Optics and Photonics. 2013
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2009
- Fellow. International Society for Optics and Photonics. 2007
- Fellows. Optical Society of America. 2004
- Fellowships for Science and Engineering. David and Lucile Packard Foundation. 1990
- ECE 270L: Introduction to Electromagnetic Fields
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Yang, J; Yuan, X; Liao, X; Llull, P; Brady, DJ; Sapiro, G; Carin, L, Video compressive sensing using Gaussian mixture models., IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol 23 no. 11 (2014), pp. 4863-4878 [10.1109/tip.2014.2344294] [abs].
- Hunt, J; Gollub, J; Driscoll, T; Lipworth, G; Mrozack, A; Reynolds, MS; Brady, DJ; Smith, DR, Metamaterial microwave holographic imaging system., Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol 31 no. 10 (2014), pp. 2109-2119 [10.1364/josaa.31.002109] [abs].
- Lakshmanan, MN; Kapadia, AJ; Sahbaee, P; Wolter, SD; Harrawood, BP; Brady, D; Samei, E, An X-ray scatter system for material identification in cluttered objects: A Monte Carlo simulation study, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, vol 335 (2014), pp. 31-38 [10.1016/j.nimb.2014.05.021] [abs].
- Pang, S; Hassan, M; Greenberg, J; Holmgren, A; Krishnamurthy, K; Brady, D, Complementary coded apertures for 4-dimensional x-ray coherent scatter imaging., Optics express, vol 22 no. 19 (2014), pp. 22925-22936 [10.1364/oe.22.022925] [abs].
- Chen, EX; Gehm, M; Danell, R; Wells, M; Glass, JT; Brady, D, Compressive mass analysis on quadrupole ion trap systems., Journal of The American Society for Mass Spectrometry, vol 25 no. 7 (2014), pp. 1295-1304 [10.1007/s13361-014-0894-z] [abs].