David J. Brady
Michael J. Fitzpatrick Professor of Photonics in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
David Brady leads the Duke Imaging and Spectroscopy Program (DISP), which builds computational imaging systems. Current DISP projects focus on snapshot gigapixel photography using multiscale optics, x-ray scatter tomography, millimeter wave diffraction tomography, focal tomography and compressive spectral imaging.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Michael J. Fitzpatrick Professor of Photonics in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Bass Fellow
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5394
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, 1990
- M.S. California Institute of Technology, 1986
- B.A. Macalester College, 1984
DISP uses joint design of physical sampling and digital processing strategies to develop high performance sensor systems. DISP builds instruments for visible, infrared, ultraviolet, x-ray, millimeter wave, terahertz, acoustic and ion imaging and spectroscopy. DISP has made particular contributions to the theory and practice of compressive measurement systems and to spectral imaging, holography and diffraction tomography, optical projection tomography and high pixel count cameras.
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Dennis Gabor Award. International Society for Optics and Photonics. 2013
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2009
- Fellow. International Society for Optics and Photonics. 2007
- Fellows. Optical Society of America. 2004
- Fellowships for Science and Engineering. David and Lucile Packard Foundation. 1990
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PHYSICS 131K: Frontiers of 21st Century Physics
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Brady, DJ; Mrozack, A; MacCabe, K; Llull, P, Compressive tomography, Advances in Optics and Photonics, vol 7 no. 4 (2015), pp. 756-756 [10.1364/AOP.7.000756] [abs].
- Chen, EX; Russell, ZE; Amsden, JJ; Wolter, SD; Danell, RM; Parker, CB; Stoner, BR; Gehm, ME; Glass, JT; Brady, DJ, Order of Magnitude Signal Gain in Magnetic Sector Mass Spectrometry Via Aperture Coding., Journal of The American Society for Mass Spectrometry, vol 26 no. 9 (2015), pp. 1633-1640 [10.1007/s13361-015-1178-y] [abs].
- Tsai, TH; Llull, P; Yuan, X; Carin, L; Brady, DJ, Spectral-temporal compressive imaging., Optics Letters, vol 40 no. 17 (2015), pp. 4054-4057 [10.1364/ol.40.004054] [abs].
- Yuan, X; Tsai, T-H; Zhu, R; Llull, P; Brady, D; Carin, L, Compressive Hyperspectral Imaging With Side Information, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, vol 9 no. 6 (2015), pp. 964-976 [10.1109/JSTSP.2015.2411575] [abs].
- Xie, Y; Tsai, TH; Konneker, A; Popa, BI; Brady, DJ; Cummer, SA, Single-sensor multispeaker listening with acoustic metamaterials., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 112 no. 34 (2015), pp. 10595-10598 [10.1073/pnas.1502276112] [abs].