Hisham Z. Massoud
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Hisham Z. Massoud joined the Duke ECE Department in 1983, where is now a Professor. He is the founding director of the Semiconductor Research Laboratory. Professor Massoud has been a research scientist at the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, N.Y., in 1977 and 1980-81, the Microelectronics Center of North Carolina in 1987, the Hewlett-Packard Integrated Circuits Business Division in 1992, and the Max-Planck Institute for Microstructure Physics in 1997 and 1998. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and Fellow of the Electrochemical Society. He was awarded the 2006 Electronics and Photonics Division Award of the Electrochemical Society (ECS) for his work on ultrathin MOS gate dielectric films.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5257
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 1983
- M.S. Stanford University, 1976
- M.S. Cairo University (Egypt), 1975
- B.S. Cairo University (Egypt), 1973
Professor Massoud is interested in ultrathin gate dielectrics for CMOS ULSI. His interest span the technology, phyiscs, modeling, simulation, and characterization of ultrathin-oxide MOSFETs. He has led a research program in the modeling and simulation of quantum-mechanical carrier tunneling in ultrathin gate dielectrics. He is interested in the effects of gate tunneling on the static, dynamic, and power performance of future generation of MOS integrated circuits. He is also interested in the modeling and simulation of nanoelectronic devices.
Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
Nanoscale/microscale computing systems
- ECE 230L: Introduction to Microelectronic Devices and Circuits
- ECE 330: Fundamentals of Microelectronic Devices
- ECE 331L: Introduction to Electronics: Integrated Circuits
- ECE 526: Semiconductor Devices for Integrated Circuits
- ECE 529: Digital Integrated Circuits
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Massoud, Hisham Z., Growth kinetics and electrical properties of ultrathin silicon-dioxide layers, ECS Transactions, vol 2 no. 2 (2006), pp. 189 - 203 [abs].
- Oliver, Lara D. and Chakrabarty, Krishnendu and Massoud, Hisham Z., An evaluation of the impact of gate oxide tunneling on dual-V t-based leakage reduction techniques, Proceedings of the ACM Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI, GLSVLSI, vol 2006 (2006), pp. 105 - 110 [abs].
- , Physics and Chemistry of SiO2 and the Si-SiO2 Interface-5, ECS Transactions, vol 1 no. 1 (2005), pp. 310 - [abs].
- Shen, M. and Jopling, J. and Massoud, H.Z., On the effects of carrier tunneling on the capacitance-voltage characteristics of ultrathin-oxide MOSFETs, Meeting Abstracts, vol MA 2005-02 (2005), pp. 1474 - [abs].
- Shen, M.Y.C. and Jopling, J. and Massoud, H.Z., On the effects of carrier tunneling on the capacitance-voltage characteristics of ultrathin-oxide MOSFETs, ECS Transactions, vol 1 no. 1 (2005), pp. 283 - 294 [abs].