Jeffrey L. Krolik
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Jeffrey Krolik is Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University in Durham, NC. Canadian-born, he received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Toronto in 1987. He began his academic career as an Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Concordia University in Montreal. Interested in signal processing applications in the ocean sciences, he joined the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California San Diego as an Assistant Research Scientist in 1990. At Scripps, he developed physics-based sensor array processing methods that exploit multi-path underwater acoustic propagation. Since coming to Duke in 1992, he has broadened his research interests to include statistical signal processing for surveillance radars and microwave remote sensing, active and passive sonar, and medical imaging. Some of his current projects include the development of aircraft height finding for over-the-horizon HF radar, through-the-sensor environmental monitoring of near-surface atmospheric conditions using a shipboard microwave radar, active sonar array shape estimation from reverberation, and functional magnetic resonance imaging algorithms which are robust to head motion. As a consultant, he has worked for the Office of Naval Research, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the Air Force Rome Laboratories.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5274
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. UniversityToronto, 1987
- M.A. UniversityToronto, 1983
- B.A. UniversityToronto, 1980
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- ECE 483: Introduction to Digital Communication Systems
- ECE 485: Digital Audio and Acoustic Signal Processing
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 686: Adaptive Filters
- ECE 688: Sensor Array Signal Processing
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Cnaan-On, I; Thomas, SJ; Krolik, JL; Reynolds, MS, Multichannel Backscatter Communication and Ranging for Distributed Sensing With an FMCW Radar, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol 63 no. 7 (2015), pp. 2375-2383 [10.1109/TMTT.2015.2439678] [abs].
- Odom, JL; Krolik, JL, Passive Towed Array Shape Estimation Using Heading and Acoustic Data, IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol 40 no. 2 (2015), pp. 465-474 [10.1109/JOE.2014.2318531] [abs].
- Li, L; Krolik, JL, Target tracking in uncertain Multipath Environment using distributed Angle-of-Arrival observation, IEEE National Radar Conference - Proceedings, vol 2015-June no. June (2015), pp. 1473-1478 [10.1109/RADAR.2015.7131228] [abs].
- Li, L; Krolik, JL, CRLB performance for bistatic MIMO radar, IEEE National Radar Conference - Proceedings, vol 2015-June no. June (2015), pp. 1468-1472 [10.1109/RADAR.2015.7131227] [abs].
- Cnaan-On, I; Thomas, SJ; Krolik, JL; Reynolds, MS, Multichannel Backscatter Communication and Ranging for Distributed Sensing With an FMCW Radar, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques (2015) [10.1109/TMTT.2015.2439678] [abs].