Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Jungsang Kim leads the Multifunctional Integrated Systems Technology group at Duke University. His main area of current research is quantum information sciences, where his group uses trapped atomic ions and a range of photonics technologies in an effort to construct a scalable quantum information processors and quantum communication networks. His research focuses on introduction of new technologies, such as micro fabricated ion traps, optical micro-electromechanical systems, advanced single photon detectors, compact cryogenics and vacuum technologies, towards a functional integration of quantum information processing systems.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Physics
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5258
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
Micro-electronic mechanical machines
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Semiconductor Photonic Devices
- ECE 522: Introduction to Micro-Electromechanical Systems (MEMS)
- ECE 523: Quantum Information Science
- ECE 541: Advanced Optics
- ECE 549: Optics and Photonics Seminar Series
- ECE 573: Optical Communication Systems
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PHYSICS 771: Mini-Course on Current Research in Physics
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Kim, Changsoon and Knoernschild, Caleb and Liu, Bin and Kim, Jungsang, Design and characterization of MEMS micromirrors for ion-trap quantum computation, IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol 13 no. 2 (2007), pp. 322 - 329 [JSTQE.2007.893561] [abs].
- McKay, K.S. and Lu, F.P. and Jungsang Kim and Changhyun Yi and Brown, A.S. and Hawkins, A.R., Band discontinuity measurements of the wafer bonded InGaAs/Si heterojunction, Appl. Phys. Lett. (USA), vol 90 no. 22 (2007), pp. 222111 - 1 [1.2745254] [abs].
- Kim, J. and Pau, S. and Ma, Z. and McLellan, H.R. and Gates, J.V. and Kornblit, A. and Slusher, R.E. and Jopson, R.M. and Kang, I. and Dinu, M., System design for large-scale ion trap quantum information processor, Quantum Inf. Comput. (USA), vol 5 no. 7 (2005), pp. 515 - 37 [abs].
- Kim, J. and Nuzman, C.J. and Kumar, B. and Lieuwen, D.F. and Kraus, J.S. and Weiss, A. and Lichtenwalner, C.P. and Papazian, A.R. and Frahm, R.E. and Basavanhally, N.R. and Ramsey, D.A. and Aksyuk, V.A. and Pardo, F. and Simon, M.E. and Lifton, V. and Chan, H.B. and Haueis, M. and Gasparyan, A. and Shea, H.R. and Arney, S. and Bolle, C.A. and Kolodner, P.R. and Ryf, R. and Neilson, D.T. and Gates, J.V., 1100 × 1100 port MEMS-based optical crossconnect with 4-dB maximum loss, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol 15 no. 11 (2003), pp. 1537 - 1539 [LPT.2003.818653] [abs].
- Kim, J. and Somani, S. and Yamamoto, Y., Nonclassical Light from Semiconductor Lasers and LEDs (2001).
- Kim, Jungsang and Takeuchi, Shigeki and Yamamoto, Yoshihisa and Hogue, Henry H., Multiphoton detection using visible light photon counter, Applied Physics Letters, vol 74 no. 7 (1999), pp. 902 - 904 [1.123404] [abs].
- Kim, J. and Benson, O. and Kan, H. and Yamamoto, Y., Single-photon turnstile device, Nature, vol 397 no. 6719 (1999), pp. 500 - 503  [abs].
- Takeuchi, Shigeki and Kim, Jungsang and Yamamoto, Yoshihisa and Hogue, Henry H., Development of a high-quantum-efficiency single-photon counting system, Applied Physics Letters, vol 74 no. 8 (1999), pp. 1063 - [1.123482].
- Oliver, W.D. and Kim, J. and Liu, R.C. and Yamamoto, Y., Hanbury Brown and Twiss-type experiment with electrons, Science (USA), vol 284 no. 5412 (1999), pp. 299 - 304  [abs].