Professor of Electrical and Computer EngineeringLawrence Carin earned the BS, MS, and PhD degrees in electrical engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, in 1985, 1986, and 1989, respectively. In 1989 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Polytechnic University (Brooklyn) as an Assistant Professor, and became an Associate Professor there in 1994. In September 1995 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Duke University, where he is now a Professor, and Vice Provost for Research. From 2003-2014 he held the William H. Younger Distinguished Professorship, and he was ECE Department Chair from 2011-2014. Dr Carin's early research was in the area of electromagentics and sensing, and over the last ten years his research has moved to applied statistics and machine learning. He has recently served on the Program Committee for the following machine learning conferences: International Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML), Neural and Information Processing Systems (NIPS), Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS), and Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI). He was previously an Associate Editor of the IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, and he is currently an Associate Editor for the IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing and the SIAM J. of Imaging Science. He is an IEEE Fellow.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Vice Provost for Research
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5270
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, College Park, 1989
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Maryland, College Park, 1986
- B.S.E. University of Maryland, College Park, 1985
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2001
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- Carlson, D; Hsieh, Y-P; Collins, E; Carin, L; Cevher, V, Stochastic Spectral Descent for Discrete Graphical Models, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, vol 10 no. 2 (2016), pp. 296-311 [10.1109/JSTSP.2015.2505684] [abs].
- Tsalik, EL; Henao, R; Nichols, M; Burke, T; Ko, ER; McClain, MT; Hudson, LL; Mazur, A; Freeman, DH; Veldman, T; Langley, RJ; Quackenbush, EB; Glickman, SW; Cairns, CB; Jaehne, AK; Rivers, EP; Otero, RM; Zaas, AK; Kingsmore, SF; Lucas, J; Fowler, VG; Carin, L; Ginsburg, GS; Woods, CW, Host gene expression classifiers diagnose acute respiratory illness etiology., Science Translational Medicine, vol 8 no. 322 (2016) [abs].
- Lian, W; Talmon, R; Zaveri, H; Carin, L; Coifman, R, Multivariate time-series analysis and diffusion maps, Signal Processing, vol 116 (2015), pp. 13-28 [10.1016/j.sigpro.2015.04.003] [abs].
- Yuan, X; Tsai, T-H; Zhu, R; Llull, P; Brady, D; Carin, L, Compressive Hyperspectral Imaging With Side Information, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, vol 9 no. 6 (2015), pp. 964-976 [10.1109/JSTSP.2015.2411575] [abs].
- Tsai, TH; Llull, P; Yuan, X; Carin, L; Brady, DJ, Spectral-temporal compressive imaging., Optics Letters, vol 40 no. 17 (2015), pp. 4054-4057 [abs].