Professor of Electrical and Computer EngineeringLawrence Carin earned the BS, MS, and PhD degrees in electrical engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, in 1985, 1986, and 1989, respectively. In 1989 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Polytechnic University (Brooklyn) as an Assistant Professor, and became an Associate Professor there in 1994. In September 1995 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Duke University, where he is now a Professor, and Vice Provost for Research. From 2003-2014 he held the William H. Younger Distinguished Professorship, and he was ECE Department Chair from 2011-2014. Dr Carin's early research was in the area of electromagentics and sensing, and over the last ten years his research has moved to applied statistics and machine learning. He has recently served on the Program Committee for the following machine learning conferences: International Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML), Neural and Information Processing Systems (NIPS), Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS), and Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI). He was previously an Associate Editor of the IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, and he is currently an Associate Editor for the IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing and the SIAM J. of Imaging Science. He is an IEEE Fellow.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Vice Provost for Research
- Office Location: 176 Hudson Eng Ctr, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5270
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, College Park, 1989
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Maryland, College Park, 1986
- B.S.E. University of Maryland, College Park, 1985
Applied statistics and machine learning.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2001
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- ECE 391: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
In the News
- Duke to discuss partnership with Indian institute of Technology (Jan 6, 2016 | Triangle Business Journal )
- Duke Board Updated on Academic, Financial Issues at Fall Meeting (Oct 2, 2015)
- Duke, RTI team for projects, fund two with $100,000 each (Mar 4, 2015 | WRAL Tech Wire )
- Duke names new vice provost for research (May 23, 2014 | Durham Herald-Sun )
- Carin Named Vice Provost for Research (May 20, 2014)
- Renna, F; Wang, L; Yuan, X; Yang, J; Reeves, G; Calderbank, R; Carin, L; Rodrigues, MRD, Classification and Reconstruction of High-Dimensional Signals From Low-Dimensional Features in the Presence of Side Information, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol 62 no. 11 (2016), pp. 6459-6492 [10.1109/TIT.2016.2606646] [abs].
- Odinaka, I; Kaganovsky, Y; Greenberg, JA; Hassan, M; Politte, DG; O'Sullivan, JA; Carin, L; Brady, DJ, Spectrally grouped total variation reconstruction for scatter imaging using ADMM, 2015 IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference, NSS/MIC 2015 (2016) [10.1109/NSSMIC.2015.7582220] [abs].
- Cao, X; Yue, T; Lin, X; Lin, S; Yuan, X; Dai, Q; Carin, L; Brady, DJ, Computational Snapshot Multispectral Cameras: Toward dynamic capture of the spectral world, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol 33 no. 5 (2016), pp. 95-108 [10.1109/MSP.2016.2582378] [abs].
- Yuan, X; Liao, X; Llull, P; Brady, D; Carin, L, Efficient patch-based approach for compressive depth imaging., Applied Optics, vol 55 no. 27 (2016), pp. 7556-7564 [10.1364/ao.55.007556] [abs].
- Hultman, R; Mague, SD; Li, Q; Katz, BM; Michel, N; Lin, L; Wang, J; David, LK; Blount, C; Chandy, R; Carlson, D; Ulrich, K; Carin, L; Dunson, D; Kumar, S; Deisseroth, K; Moore, SD; Dzirasa, K, Dysregulation of Prefrontal Cortex-Mediated Slow-Evolving Limbic Dynamics Drives Stress-Induced Emotional Pathology., Neuron, vol 91 no. 2 (2016), pp. 439-452 [10.1016/j.neuron.2016.05.038] [abs].