Steven A. Cummer
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Dr. Steven Cummer received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 1997 and prior to joining Duke University in 1999 he spent two years at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an NRC postdoctoral research associate. Awards he has received include a National Science Foundation CAREER award and a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) in 2001. His current work is in a variety of theoretical and experimental electromagnetic problems related to geophysical remote sensing and engineered electromagnetic materials.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Bass Fellow
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5256
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 1997
- M.S.E.E. Stanford University, 1993
- B.S.E.E. Stanford University, 1991
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2011
- Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers. President of the United States of America. 2001
- ECE 270L: Introduction to Electromagnetic Fields
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 574: Waves in Matter
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Barrett, JP; Cummer, SA, Design and Full Characterization of Planar Active Magnetic RF Metamaterials, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol 14 (2015), pp. 943-946 [10.1109/LAWP.2014.2388431] [abs].
- Lyu, F; Cummer, SA; McTague, L, Insights into high peak current in-cloud lightning events during thunderstorms, Geophysical Research Letters, vol 42 no. 16 (2015), pp. 6836-6843 [10.1002/2015GL065047] [abs].
- Xie, Y; Tsai, TH; Konneker, A; Popa, BI; Brady, DJ; Cummer, SA, Single-sensor multispeaker listening with acoustic metamaterials., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 112 no. 34 (2015), pp. 10595-10598 [10.1073/pnas.1502276112] [abs].
- Qin, J; Pasko, VP; Celestin, S; Cummer, SA; McHarg, MG; Stenbaek-Nielsen, HC, Effects of Phosphor Persistence on High-Speed Imaging of Transient Luminous Events, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, vol 43 no. 8 (2015), pp. 2738-2742 [10.1109/TPS.2015.2445820] [abs].
- Popa, B-I; Shinde, D; Konneker, A; Cummer, SA, Active acoustic metamaterials reconfigurable in real time, Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, vol 91 no. 22 (2015) [10.1103/PhysRevB.91.220303] [abs].