William T. Joines
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
William T. Joines earned the BS degree from North Carolina State University, MS, and PhD degrees from Duke University (all in electrical engineering) in 1959, 1961, and 1964, respectively. After high school and before college he served for four years in the United States Air Force (1951-1955) as an airborne radar technician. From 1959 to 1966 he was a Member of the Technical Staff of Bell Telephone Laboratories doing research and development of missile tracking and guidance radar. He joined the Electrical Engineering Department of Duke University as an Assistant Professor in 1966. He was appointed as an Associate Professor in 1968 and a Full Professor in 1979. His current research interests include electromagnetic field and wave interactions with materials and structures. He is a member of the Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, Phi Kappa Phi, and Sigma Xi, honor societies. He is a Life Fellow of the IEEE, a recent recipient of the Outstanding Engineering Educator Award from the IEEE, and the Scientific and Technical Achievement Award presented by the Environmental Protection Agency. He has supervised more than 60 graduate students in their thesis and dissertation research leading to their MS and PhD degrees.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5281
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1964
- M.S.E.E. Duke University, 1961
- B.S.E.E. North Carolina State University, 1959
- ECE 391: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 572: Electromagnetic Communication Systems
- ECE 575: Microwave Electronic Circuits
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- C. Yu and M. Q. Yuan and J. Stang and E. Bresslour and R. T. George and G. A. Ybarra and W. T. Joines and Q. H. Liu, Active microwave imaging II: 3-D system prototype and image reconstruction from experimental data, Ieee Transactions On Microwave Theory And Techniques, vol 56 no. 4 (2008), pp. 991 -- 1000 [abs].
- K. H. Lim and G. Shi and K. Mccarter and R. George and G. Ybarra and W. T. Joines and S. Wartenberg and C. H. Liu, 2d eit for biomedical imaging: Design, measurement, simulation, and image reconstruction, Microwave And Optical Technology Letters, vol 49 no. 12 (2007), pp. 2989 -- 2998 [abs].
- Y. Chen and W. T. Joines and Z. T. Xie and G. N. Shi and Q. H. Liu and L. Carin, Double-sided exponentially tapered GPR antenna and its transmission line feed structure, Ieee Transactions On Antennas And Propagation, vol 54 no. 9 (2006), pp. 2615 -- 2623 [abs].
- Keller, S.D. and Palmer, W.D. and Joines, W.T., Direct antenna modulation: analysis, design, and experiment, 2006 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (IEEE Cat. No. 06CH37758C) (2006), pp. 909 - 12 [abs].
- Ye, Gang and Lim, Kim H. and George, Rhett and Ybarra, Gary and Joines, William T. and Liu, Qing H., A 3D EIT system for breast cancer imaging, 2006 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro - Proceedings, vol 2006 (2006), pp. 1092 - 1095 [abs].