Whether you are seeking to become a computer or robotics researcher or have your sights set on a career in the technology industry, the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) in the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke offers a graduate degree program to help you achieve your goals.
Duke has strength and depth in important areas of electrical engineering and computer engineering research, and our relatively small size enables us to provide students with individualized faculty mentoring throughout their graduate studies.
are conducting cutting-edge research, and we are looking for the very best graduate students worldwide to collaborate with us in our research. We offer stimulating, challenging and extremely rewarding graduate programs at Duke.
The ECE department offers industry-focused degrees: Master of Science, with coursework, project, or thesis options, and Master of Engineering, which includes business courses and an internship.
Why Choose Duke?
- An energetic, interdisciplinary research environment—with internationally recognized faculty and major research centers focused on quantum computing, metamaterials and imaging
- A highly entrepreneurial culture, with a strong record of start-up successes and an engineering-based Office of Entrepreneurial Ventures
- DEEP SEA (Duke Engineering Entrepreneurial Pipelines Startup Entry Accelerator)—a unique opportunity for ECE grad students to receive seed funding to pursue entrepreneurial ideas
- A wealth of internship opportunities, thanks to close ties with industry partners such as Amazon, Facebook, Google, Intel and Microsoft, as well as Cisco, IBM, Lenovo and other companies in nearby Research Triangle Park (home to 200-plus tech companies)
- PhD Plus, an innovative professional development program offering summer workshops, seminars, networking opportunities, and internship resources to position Duke PhD students for career success
- Full funding plus conference and travel support for PhD students, even early in your studies
- A welcoming and close-knit community of peers and mentors within ECE and across Duke
- A terrific location in one of America’s most-awarded cities plus a lower cost of living compared to other metropolitan areas
Details on our ECE program
Meet Our PhD Students
Videos about our students & what they research.
Explore ECE courses
Course titles, descriptions and numbers.
Learn how to apply
Tips on your application, & our feedback schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to choose, admission criteria and other helpful info.
Details for all Duke Engineering applicants