Martin A. Brooke
Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Martin A. Brooke received the B.E. (Elect.) Degree (1st. Class Hons.) from Auckland University in New Zealand in 1981. He received the M.S. and Ph. D. in Electrical Engineering from The University of Southern California in 1984, and 1988, respectively. He is currently an Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering at Duke University. Professor Brooke was an Analog Devices Career development award recipient from 1988-1993, won a National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award in 1990, the 1992 IEEE Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Myril B. Reed Best Paper Award, and the Georgia Tech Outstanding Thesis Advisor Award in 2003. He has graduated twenty three PhD students from his research group and has six U.S. patents awarded. He has published more than 120 articles in technical Journals and Proceedings, and articles on his work have appeared in several trade publications. Dr. Brooke is a senior member of the IEEE.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5252
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. University of Southern California, 1988
- M.S.E.E. University of Southern California, 1982
Professor Brooke's expertise is in multi-disciplinary, team-oriented collaborative research involving co-design and co-development of hybrid analog, digital, and optoelectronic information processing systems. He has conducted a research program in applications for ultra-compact optical sensors, short-haul and in-home optical data communications, real-time control, cost effective high performance and optoelectronic packaging, and predictive and statistical modeling of RF and optoelectronic passive and active components and circuits suitable for use in circuit design environments such as HSPICE and HPADS. Dr. Brooke's research enables both undergraduate and graduate students to design, build, and test integrated circuits and associated support circuitry (over 50 designs so far) that get used by our collaborators for such exotic purposes as chemical analysis and jet turbine combustion control.
Integrated Analog CMOS Circuit Design
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
Mixed Signal VLSI Design
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Analog and Power Electronics
Electronic Circuit Assembly and Testing
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- DANCE 308: Performance and Technology: Composition Workshop
- ECE 230L: Introduction to Microelectronic Devices and Circuits
- ECE 364: Performance and Technology: Composition Workshop
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 449: Opto-Electronic Design Projects
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 495: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 496: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- ISIS 376: Performance and Technology: Composition Workshop
- MENG 550: Master of Engineering Internship/Project
- MENG 551: Master of Engineering internship/Project Assessment
- THEATRST 364: Performance and Technology: Composition Workshop
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Brooke, MA; Cole, E; Dale, J; Prasad, A; Quach, H; Bau, R; Nowacek, D; Bhatt, E, An Ocean Sensor for Measuring the Seawater Electrochemical Response of 8 Metals Referenced to Zinc, for Determining Ocean pH., Sensing Technology (ICST), 2015 Ninth International Conference on (2015) [abs].
- Dhar, S; Lo, JY; Palmer, GM; Brooke, MA; Nichols, BS; Yu, B; Ramanujam, N; Jokerst, NM, A diffuse reflectance spectral imaging system for tumor margin assessment using custom annular photodiode arrays., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 3 no. 12 (2012), pp. 3211-3222 [10.1364/BOE.3.003211] [abs].
- Lo, JY; Dhar, S; Yu, B; Brooke, MA; Kuech, TF; Jokerst, NM; Ramanujam, N, Diffuse reflectance spectral imaging for breast tumor margin assessment, Proceedings of SPIE, vol 8214 (2012) [10.1117/12.909259] [abs].
- Dhar, S; Lo, JY; Yu, B; Brooke, MA; Ramanujam, N; Jokerst, NM, Custom annular photodetector arrays for breast cancer margin assessment using diffuse reflectance spectroscopy, 2011 IEEE Biomedical Circuits and Systems Conference, BioCAS 2011 (2011), pp. 440-443 [10.1109/BioCAS.2011.6107822] [abs].
- Dhar, S; Lob, JY; Yu, B; Tyler, T; Brooke, MA; Ramanujam, N; Jokerst, NM; Kuech, TF, A custom wide-field spectral imager for breast cancer margin assessment, IEEE Photonic Society 24th Annual Meeting, PHO 2011 (2011), pp. 798-799 [10.1109/PHO.2011.6110798] [abs].