Martin A. Brooke
Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Martin A. Brooke received the B.E. (Elect.) Degree (1st. Class Hons.) from Auckland University in New Zealand in 1981. He received the M.S. and Ph. D. in Electrical Engineering from The University of Southern California in 1984, and 1988, respectively. He is currently an Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering at Duke University. Professor Brooke was an Analog Devices Career development award recipient from 1988-1993, won a National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award in 1990, the 1992 IEEE Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Myril B. Reed Best Paper Award, and the Georgia Tech Outstanding Thesis Advisor Award in 2003. He has graduated twenty three PhD students from his research group and has eight U.S. patents awarded. He has published more than 160 articles in technical Journals and Proceedings, and articles on his work have appeared in several trade and news publications. Dr. Brooke is a senior member of the IEEE.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: Duke University Ece, Box 90219, Durham, NC 27708-0291
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5252
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Southern California, 1988
- M.S.E.E. University of Southern California, 1982
Analog, RF, and optoelectronic circuits. Sensor interface circuits. Deployable sensor systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Outstanding Thesis Advisor Award. Georgia Institute of Technology. 2003
- DANCE 308: Performance and Technology: Composition Workshop
- ECE 291: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 364: Performance and Technology: Composition Workshop
- ECE 391: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 449: Sensors and Sensor Interface Design
- ECE 461: Ocean Engineering
- ECE 489: Advanced Robot System Design
- ECE 493: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 496: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- ENVIRON 461: Ocean Engineering
- ISS 293: ISS Research Independent Study
- ISS 376: Performance and Technology: Composition Workshop
- ISS 795: Connections in Information, Society and Culture: Project
- ME 426: Ocean Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- MENG 550: Master of Engineering Internship/Project
- MENG 551: Master of Engineering Internship/Project Assessment
- THEATRST 364: Performance and Technology: Composition Workshop
In the News
- A Spiderman Web Shooter and Ocean Exploration: Duke Innovators Rock the Smithsonian at ACC Festival (May 2, 2019 | Innovation and Entrepreneurship)
- What Happens When a Dolphin Holds Its Breath? (May 17, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Duke Students Advance to Finals in $7 Million Ocean Discovery XPRIZE Competition (Mar 7, 2018 | Duke University Pratt School of Engineering)
- Martin Brooke: Mentoring Students Toward an X Prize for Ocean Robotics (Jan 9, 2018 | Duke Research Blog)
- Creating Artists Who Understand Technology, and Engineers Who Understand Art (Nov 9, 2015)
- Engineers Get Their Groove On (Oct 27, 2014)
- Andrews, JB; Cao, C; Brooke, MA; Franklin, AD, Noninvasive material thickness detection by aerosol jet printed sensors enhanced through metallic carbon nanotube ink, Ieee Sensors Journal, vol 17 no. 14 (2017), pp. 4612-4618 [10.1109/JSEN.2017.2710085] [abs].
- Nichols, BS; Llopis, A; Palmer, GM; McCachren, SS; Senlik, O; Miller, D; Brooke, MA; Jokerst, NM; Geradts, J; Greenup, R; Ramanujam, N, Miniature spectral imaging device for wide-field quantitative functional imaging of the morphological landscape of breast tumor margins., Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol 22 no. 2 (2017) [10.1117/1.JBO.22.2.026007] [abs].
- Coonley, K; Manturuk, K; Miles, J; Lipp, G; Lorch, C; Woodard, C; Brooke, M, Massive open online laboratories? Ongoing work with microelectronics experiments performed outside of the traditional laboratory, Asee Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings, vol 2016-June (2016) [abs].
- Brooke, M; Cole, E; Dale, J; Prasad, A; Quach, H; Bau, B; Nowacek, D; Bhatt, E, An ocean sensor for measuring the seawater electrochemical response of 8 metals referenced to zinc, for determining ocean pH., Proceedings of the International Conference on Sensing Technology, Icst, vol 2016-March (2016), pp. 147-150 [10.1109/ICSensT.2015.7438381] [abs].
- Dhar, S; Lo, JY; Palmer, GM; Brooke, MA; Nichols, BS; Yu, B; Ramanujam, N; Jokerst, NM, A diffuse reflectance spectral imaging system for tumor margin assessment using custom annular photodiode arrays., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 3 no. 12 (2012), pp. 3211-3222 [10.1364/BOE.3.003211] [abs].