Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Dr. April Brown received her B.S.E.E. from North Carolina State University in 1981, her M.S.E.E. and Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1984 and 1985, respectively. She worked at the Hughes Research Laboratories (now HRL LLC) in Malibu, Ca. from 1986-1993, and spent one year at the Army Research Office in the Physics Division (1988). She joined the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1994 as an Associate Professor and was promoted to Professor in 1999. She was Associate Dean in the College of Engineering from 1999-2001 and Executive Assistant to the President from 2001-2002. In addition, she was named Pettit Professor in Microelectronics in 2001. She joined Duke University as Professor and Chair in July 2002.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3573 CIEMAS, Box 90291, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5442
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Cornell University, 1985
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. American Physical Society. 2011
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 1998
- Paul Rappaport Award. IEEE Electron Devices Society. 1992
- ECE 230L9: Introduction to Microelectronic Devices and Circuits-Lab
- ECE 230L: Introduction to Microelectronic Devices and Circuits
- ECE 495: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
In the News
- April Brown on Federal Research Spending With Impact (Jan 18, 2023 | Duke Government Relations)
- Perpetual 'Ice Water': Stable Solid-Liquid State Revealed in Nanoparticles (Aug 4, 2016)
- Pratt's April Brown to Lead U.S. Army in Engineering Science Research (Jan 20, 2015)
- Losurdo, Maria, Yael Gutiérrez, Alexandra Suvorova, Maria M. Giangregorio, Sergey Rubanov, April S. Brown, and Fernando Moreno. “Gallium Plasmonic Nanoantennas Unveiling Multiple Kinetics of Hydrogen Sensing, Storage, and Spillover.” Advanced Materials (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) 33, no. 29 (July 2021): e2100500. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.202100500.
- Aprile, E., J. Aalbers, F. Agostini, M. Alfonsi, F. D. Amaro, M. Anthony, F. Arneodo, et al. “Signal yields of keV electronic recoils and their discrimination from nuclear recoils in liquid xenon.” Physical Review D 97, no. 9 (May 1, 2018). https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevD.97.092007.
- Losurdo, M., Y. Gutierrez, M. M. Giangregorio, J. Humlicek, F. Moreno, and A. Brown. “Multiphase gallium-based nanoparticles for a versatile plasmonic platform.” In Optics Infobase Conference Papers, Vol. Part F107-NOMA 2018, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1364/NOMA.2018.NoTh3D.4.
- Collar, Kristen N., Jincheng Li, Wenyuan Jiao, Wei Kong, and April S. Brown. “Unidirectional lateral nanowire formation during the epitaxial growth of GaAsBi on vicinal substrates.” Nanotechnology 29, no. 3 (January 2018): 035604. https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/aa9e34.
- Collar, K., J. Li, W. Jiao, Y. Guan, M. Losurdo, J. Humlicek, and A. S. Brown. “Determination of the impact of Bi content on the valence band energy of GaAsBi using x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy.” Aip Advances 7, no. 7 (July 1, 2017). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4986751.