Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Dr. Daniel Sorin is a professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University. His research interests are primarily in computer architecture and dependability.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Bass Fellow
- Professor of Computer Science
- Office Location: 403 Wilkinson Building, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5439
- Email Address: email@example.com
- B.S. Duke University, 1996
- M.S. University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1998
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin - Madison, 2002
Computer architecture, designing microarchitectures so that they are easier to verify, improving computer system fault tolerance, developing memory systems for multicore processors, and designing special-purpose accelerators
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Program Chair of HiPEAC 2017. HiPEAC. 2017
- Co-chair of selection committee for IEEE Micro's Top Picks 2016. IEEE Micro. 2016
- Associate Editor in Chief. Computer Architecture Letters. 2015
- IEEE Micro Top Pick. IEEE Micro. 2015
- Best Paper Award. 20th International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture. 2014
- IEEE Micro Top Pick. IEEE Micro. 2011
- Lois and John L. Imhoff Distinguished Teaching Award. Pratt School of Engineering. 2011
- ACM Senior Member. Association for Computing Machinery. 2009
- Eta Kappa Nu. Unknown. 2008
- Intel Graduate Fellowship. Unknown. 2008
- NSF Early CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2008
- Outstanding Graduate Research Award. University of Wisconsin. 2008
- Phi Beta Kappa. Unknown. 2008
- Tau Beta Pi. Unknown. 2008
- Top of 2004 - Nanocomputing Research. Technology Research News. 2008
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2005
- COMPSCI 250D: Computer Architecture
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- ECE 250D: Computer Architecture
- ECE 552: Advanced Computer Architecture I
- ECE 554: Fault-Tolerant and Testable Computer Systems
- EGR 491: Projects in Engineering
In the News
- Oswald, N., V. Nagarajan, D. J. Sorin, V. Gavrielatos, T. X. Olausson, and R. Carr. “HeteroGen: Automatic Synthesis of Heterogeneous Cache Coherence Protocols.” IEEE Micro 43, no. 4 (July 1, 2023): 62–70. https://doi.org/10.1109/MM.2023.3274993.
- Oswald, N., V. Nagarajan, D. J. Sorin, V. Gavrielatos, T. Olausson, and R. Carr. “HeteroGen: Automatic Synthesis of Heterogeneous Cache Coherence Protocols.” In Proceedings - International Symposium on High-Performance Computer Architecture, 2022-April:756–71, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1109/HPCA53966.2022.00061.
- Mehrabi, A., D. J. Sorin, and B. C. Lee. “Spatiotemporal Strategies for Long-Term FPGA Resource Management.” In Proceedings - 2022 IEEE International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software, ISPASS 2022, 198–209, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1109/ISPASS55109.2022.00026.
- Sorin, D. J. “Reconfigurable Hardware in Postsilicon Microarchitecture.” Computer 54, no. 3 (March 1, 2021): 4–5. https://doi.org/10.1109/MC.2020.3047006.
- Mehrabi, A., D. Lee, N. Chatterjee, D. J. Sorin, B. C. Lee, and M. O’Connor. “Learning Sparse Matrix Row Permutations for Efficient SpMM on GPU Architectures.” In Proceedings - 2021 IEEE International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software, ISPASS 2021, 48–58, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1109/ISPASS51385.2021.00016.