Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Iman Marvian received his Ph.D. in Physics in 2012 at the University of Waterloo and Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Canada. Before moving to Duke, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Southern California and MIT.
Marvian's main research interest is quantum information and computation theory. He has worked on a wide range of topics in this field, including quantum algorithms, quantum circuits, symmetry-protected topological order, quantum error suppression, open quantum systems, quantum resource theories, and quantum thermodynamics.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Physics
- Office Location: 186 Physics Bldg., Box 90305, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2903
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Waterloo (Canada), 2012
Quantum information and computation theory
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award. National Science Foundation (NSF). 2021
- ECE 110L9: Fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering - Lab
- ECE 110L: Fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 523: Quantum Information Science
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study
- PHYSICS 590: Selected Topics in Theoretical Physics
- PHYSICS 627: Quantum Information Science
- PHYSICS 791: SPECIAL READINGS
In the News
- Forbidden by symmetry (Jan 10, 2022 | Nature Physics)
- Marvian Wins National Science Foundation CAREER Award (Jul 12, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Marvian, I; Spekkens, RW, Extending Noether’s theorem by quantifying the asymmetry of quantum states, Nature Communications, vol 5 no. 1 (2014) [10.1038/ncomms4821] [abs].
- Marvian, I, Symmetry-protected topological entanglement, Physical Review B, vol 95 no. 4 [10.1103/physrevb.95.045111] [abs].
- Marvian, I; Lidar, DA, Quantum Error Suppression with Commuting Hamiltonians: Two Local is Too Local, Physical Review Letters, vol 113 no. 26 [10.1103/physrevlett.113.260504] [abs].