Associate Research Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Research Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Boston University, 2008
My area of interest is in the application of computational and compressive techniques to improve spectroscopic instrument design. Spectroscopic measurements are a convolution of the instrument response and the desired spectrum. Conventional spectroscopic instruments are designed such that the instrument response is a delta function and the measurements are essentially the desired spectrum. However, this design approach can limit the spectrometer performance. I use a different approach by designing the system response to maximize parameters of interest such as throughput and resolution, and then computationally deconvolve the system response from the measurements to achieve a spectrum – thus improving instrument performance.
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- Horvath, Kathleen L., Elettra L. Piacentino, Rafael Bento Serpa, Tanouir Aloui, Raul Vyas, Yuriy Zhilichev, Jesko von Windheim, et al. “Design considerations for a cycloidal mass analyzer using a focal plane array detector.” Journal of Mass Spectrometry : Jms 57, no. 7 (July 2022): e4874. https://doi.org/10.1002/jms.4874.
- Serpa, R. B., E. L. Piacentino, K. L. Horvath, T. Aloui, Y. Zhilichev, C. B. Parker, J. T. Glass, et al. “Virtual-slit focusing in a cycloidal mass spectrometer – A proof of concept.” International Journal of Mass Spectrometry 470 (December 1, 2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijms.2021.116706.
- Piacentino, Elettra L., Rafael Bento Serpa, Kathleen L. Horvath, Raul Vyas, Tanouir Aloui, Charles B. Parker, James B. Carlson, et al. “The Long Neglected Cycloidal Mass Analyzer.” Analytical Chemistry 93, no. 33 (August 2021): 11357–63. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.1c02001.
- Vyas, Raul, Tanouir Aloui, Kathleen Horvath, Philip J. Herr, Matthew P. Kirley, Charles B. Parker, Adam D. Keil, et al. “Improving the Performance of a Cycloidal Coded-Aperture Miniature Mass Spectrometer.” Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry 32, no. 2 (February 2021): 509–18. https://doi.org/10.1021/jasms.0c00378.
- Vyas, R., P. J. Herr, T. Aloui, K. Horvath, M. P. Kirley, C. B. Parker, A. D. Keil, et al. “Comparison of thermionic filament and carbon nanotube field emitter-based electron ionization sources in cycloidal coded aperture mass analyzers.” International Journal of Mass Spectrometry 457 (November 1, 2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijms.2020.116415.