John Michael Pearson
Assistant Professor of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
My research focuses on the application of machine learning methods to the analysis of brain data and behavior. I have a special interest in the neurobiology of reward and decision-making, particularly issues surrounding foraging, impulsivity, and self-control. More generally, I am interested in computational principles underlying brain organization at the mesoscale, and work in my lab studies phenomena that range from complex social behaviors to coding principles of the retina.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Research Professor in Neurobiology
- Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Member of the Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
- Office Location: Levine Science Research Center, B255, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 613-8338
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Princeton University, 2004
- B.S. University of Kentucky, Lexington, 1999
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Gordon G. Hammes Faculty Teaching Award. Duke University School of Medicine. 2020
- EGR 491: Projects in Engineering
- NEUROBIO 393: Research Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 735: Quantitative Approaches in Neurobiology
- NEUROBIO 793: Research in Neurobiology
- NEUROSCI 493: Research Independent Study 1
- NEUROSCI 494: Research Independent Study 2
- NEUROSCI 495: Research Independent Study 3
- NEUROSCI 755: Interdisciplinary Program in Cognitive Neuroscience (IPCN) Independent Research Rotation
- PSY 755: Research Practicum
In the News
- Why More Severe Crimes Are More Likely to Lead to Wrongful Convictions (Jul 24, 2019 | Duke Research Blog)
- John Pearson: Data Explorer Inside the Brain (Oct 29, 2015)
- Jun, NY; Field, G; Pearson, J, The optimal spatial arrangement of ON and OFF receptive fields (2021) [10.1101/2021.03.10.434612] [abs].
- Roy, S; Jun, NY; Davis, EL; Pearson, J; Field, GD, Inter-mosaic coordination of retinal receptive fields., Nature (2021) [10.1038/s41586-021-03317-5] [abs].
- Yoo, SBM; Hayden, BY; Pearson, JM, Continuous decisions., Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci, vol 376 no. 1819 (2021) [10.1098/rstb.2019.0664] [abs].
- Adams, GK; Ong, WS; Pearson, JM; Watson, KK; Platt, ML, Neurons in primate prefrontal cortex signal valuable social information during natural viewing., Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci, vol 376 no. 1819 (2021) [10.1098/rstb.2019.0666] [abs].
- Draelos, A; Nikitchenko, M; Sriworarat, C; Sprague, D; Loring, M; Pnevmatikakis, E; Giovannucci, A; Naumann, E; Pearson, J, improv: A flexible software platform for adaptive neuroscience experiments (2021) [10.1101/2021.02.22.432006] [abs].