John Michael Pearson
Assistant Professor of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
My research focuses on the application of machine learning methods to the analysis of brain data and behavior. I have a special interest in the neurobiology of reward and decision-making, particularly issues surrounding foraging, impulsivity, and self-control. More generally, I am interested in computational principles underlying brain organization at the mesoscale, and work in my lab studies phenomena that range from complex social behaviors to coding principles of the retina.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Research Professor in Neurobiology
- Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Member of the Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
- Office Location: Levine Science Research Center, B255, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 613-8338
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Princeton University, 2004
- B.S. University of Kentucky at Lexington, 1999
- NEUROBIO 735: Quantitative Approaches in Neurobiology
- NEUROSCI 150: Research Practicum
- NEUROSCI 493: Research Independent Study 1
- NEUROSCI 494: Research Independent Study 2
- NEUROSCI 495: Research Independent Study 3
- NEUROSCI 755: Interdisciplinary Program in Cognitive Neuroscience (IPCN) Independent Research Rotation
- PSY 756: Research Practicum
In the News
- John Pearson: Data Explorer Inside the Brain (Oct 29, 2015)
- Lighthall, NR; Pearson, JM; Huettel, SA; Cabeza, R, Feedback-Based Learning in Aging: Contributions and Trajectories of Change in Striatal and Hippocampal Systems., The Journal of Neuroscience : the Official Journal of the Society for Neuroscience, vol 38 no. 39 (2018), pp. 8453-8462 [10.1523/jneurosci.0769-18.2018] [abs].
- Addicott, MA; Pearson, JM; Sweitzer, MM; Barack, DL; Platt, ML, A Primer on Foraging and the Explore/Exploit Trade-Off for Psychiatry Research., Neuropsychopharmacology, vol 42 no. 10 (2017), pp. 1931-1939 [10.1038/npp.2017.108] [abs].
- Chen, X; Beck, JM; Pearson, JM, Neuron's eye view: Inferring features of complex stimuli from neural responses., Plos Computational Biology, vol 13 no. 8 (2017) [10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005645] [abs].
- Dowd, EW; Pearson, JM; Egner, T, Decoding working memory content from attentional biases., Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, vol 24 no. 4 (2017), pp. 1252-1260 [10.3758/s13423-016-1204-5] [abs].
- Pearson, JM; Hickey, PT; Lad, SP; Platt, ML; Turner, DA, Local Fields in Human Subthalamic Nucleus Track the Lead-up to Impulsive Choices., Frontiers in Neuroscience, vol 11 (2017) [10.3389/fnins.2017.00646] [abs].