Professor in Radiology
My research is at the intersection of computer vision, machine learning, and medical imaging, with a dual focus on mammography and computed tomography (CT). Together with our industry partner, we developed deep learning algorithms for breast cancer screening with 2D/3D mammography, and that product is now undergoing FDA approval with anticipated rollout to clinics worldwide. We also pioneer the creation of "digital twin" anatomical models from patient imaging data, using these models to forge new paths in CT scan analysis through virtual readers and deep learning techniques. Additionally, we're developing a computer-aided triage system for detecting diseases across multiple organs in body CT scans, leveraging hospital-scale datasets and integrating natural language processing with deep learning for comprehensive disease classification.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in Radiology
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 2424 Erwin Road, Suite 302, Ravin Advanced Imaging Labs, Durham, NC 27705
- Office Phone: (919) 684-7763
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- B.S.E.E. Duke University, 1988
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1993
- Duke University, 1995
- RROMP 301B: Radiology, Radiation Oncology & Medical Physics
In the News
- Tushar, Fakrul Islam, Vincent M. D’Anniballe, Rui Hou, Maciej A. Mazurowski, Wanyi Fu, Ehsan Samei, Geoffrey D. Rubin, and Joseph Y. Lo. “Classification of Multiple Diseases on Body CT Scans Using Weakly Supervised Deep Learning.” Radiol Artif Intell 4, no. 1 (January 2022): e210026. https://doi.org/10.1148/ryai.210026.
- Grimm, Lars J., Benjamin Neely, Rui Hou, Vignesh Selvakumaran, Jay A. Baker, Sora C. Yoon, Sujata V. Ghate, et al. “Mixed-Methods Study to Predict Upstaging of DCIS to Invasive Disease on Mammography.” AJR. American Journal of Roentgenology 216, no. 4 (April 2021): 903–11. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.20.23679.
- Draelos, Rachel Lea, David Dov, Maciej A. Mazurowski, Joseph Y. Lo, Ricardo Henao, Geoffrey D. Rubin, and Lawrence Carin. “Machine-learning-based multiple abnormality prediction with large-scale chest computed tomography volumes.” Med Image Anal 67 (January 2021): 101857. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.media.2020.101857.
- Abadi, Ehsan, William P. Segars, Benjamin M. W. Tsui, Paul E. Kinahan, Nick Bottenus, Alejandro F. Frangi, Andrew Maidment, Joseph Lo, and Ehsan Samei. “Virtual clinical trials in medical imaging: a review.” J Med Imaging (Bellingham) 7, no. 4 (July 2020): 042805. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.JMI.7.4.042805.
- Hou, Rui, Maciej A. Mazurowski, Lars J. Grimm, Jeffrey R. Marks, Lorraine M. King, Carlo C. Maley, Eun-Sil Shelley Hwang, and Joseph Y. Lo. “Prediction of Upstaged Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Using Forced Labeling and Domain Adaptation.” IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 67, no. 6 (June 2020): 1565–72. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2019.2940195.
- Georgian-Smith, Dianne, Nancy A. Obuchowski, Joseph Y. Lo, Rachel F. Brem, Jay A. Baker, Paul R. Fisher, Alice Rim, Wei Zhao, Laurie L. Fajardo, and Thomas Mertelmeier. “Can Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Replace Full-Field Digital Mammography? A Multireader, Multicase Study of Wide-Angle Tomosynthesis.” AJR Am J Roentgenol 212, no. 6 (June 2019): 1393–99. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.18.20294.
- Rossman, Andrea H., Matthew Catenacci, Christine Zhao, Dhiraj Sikaria, John E. Knudsen, Danielle Dawes, Michael E. Gehm, Ehsan Samei, Benjamin J. Wiley, and Joseph Y. Lo. “Three-dimensionally-printed anthropomorphic physical phantom for mammography and digital breast tomosynthesis with custom materials, lesions, and uniform quality control region.” J Med Imaging (Bellingham) 6, no. 2 (April 2019): 021604. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.JMI.6.2.021604.
- Sturgeon, Gregory M., Subok Park, William Paul Segars, and Joseph Y. Lo. “Synthetic breast phantoms from patient based eigenbreasts.” Med Phys 44, no. 12 (December 2017): 6270–79. https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.12579.
- Ikejimba, Lynda, Joseph Y. Lo, Yicheng Chen, Nadia Oberhofer, Nooshin Kiarashi, and Ehsan Samei. “A quantitative metrology for performance characterization of five breast tomosynthesis systems based on an anthropomorphic phantom.” Med Phys 43, no. 4 (April 2016): 1627. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4943373.
- Erickson, David W., Jered R. Wells, Gregory M. Sturgeon, Ehsan Samei, James T. Dobbins, W Paul Segars, and Joseph Y. Lo. “Population of 224 realistic human subject-based computational breast phantoms.” Med Phys 43, no. 1 (January 2016): 23. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4937597.