Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Jungsang Kim leads the Multifunctional Integrated Systems Technology group at Duke University. His main area of current research is quantum information sciences, where his group uses trapped atomic ions and a range of photonics technologies in an effort to construct a scalable quantum information processors and quantum communication networks. His research focuses on introduction of new technologies, such as micro fabricated ion traps, optical micro-electromechanical systems, advanced single photon detectors, compact cryogenics and vacuum technologies, towards a functional integration of quantum information processing systems.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Computer Science
- Professor of Physics
- Professor in the Department of Physics
- Office Location: Fciemas 2519, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5258
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Micro-electronic mechanical machines
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Semiconductor Photonic Devices
- ECE 522: Introduction to Micro-Electromechanical Systems (MEMS)
- ECE 523: Quantum Information Science
- ECE 541: Advanced Optics
- ECE 549: Optics and Photonics Seminar Series
- ECE 573: Optical Communication Systems
- PHYSICS 791: SPECIAL READINGS
In the News
- Venture Firms Back Startup with Novel Twist on Quantum Computing (Jul 26, 2017 | The Wall Street Journal )
- From the Abacus to Supercomputers to Quantum Computers (Jun 12, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Photonics Researchers Continue Steps Toward's World's First Quantum Computer (Feb 12, 2016)
- Grant Targets Quantum Computing’s Error Control Challenge (Jan 6, 2016)
- Pratt Engineers Awarded Four Department of Defense Grants (Jun 18, 2013)
- Islam, NT; Cahall, C; Aragoneses, A; Lim, CCW; Allman, MS; Verma, V; Nam, SW; Kim, J; Gauthier, DJ, Discrete-variable time-frequency quantum key distribution, 2016 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, CLEO 2016 (2016) [abs].
- Cahall, CT; Gauthier, DJ; Kim, J, Cryogenic amplifiers for a superconducting nanowire single photon detector system, 2016 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, CLEO 2016 (2016) [abs].
- Mount, E; Gaultney, D; Vrijsen, G; Adams, M; Baek, S-Y; Hudek, K; Isabella, L; Crain, S; van Rynbach, A; Maunz, P; Kim, J, Scalable digital hardware for a trapped ion quantum computer, Quantum Information Processing, vol 15 no. 12 (2016), pp. 5281-5298 [10.1007/s11128-015-1120-z] [abs].
- Van Rynbach, A; Maunz, P; Kim, J, An integrated mirror and surface ion trap with a tunable trap location, Applied Physics Letters, vol 109 no. 22 (2016), pp. 221108-221108 [10.1063/1.4970542] [abs].
- Namiki, R; Jiang, L; Kim, J; Lütkenhaus, N, Role of syndrome information on a one-way quantum repeater using teleportation-based error correction, Physical Review A, vol 94 no. 5 (2016) [10.1103/PhysRevA.94.052304] [abs].