Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Jungsang Kim leads the Multifunctional Integrated Systems Technology group at Duke University. His main area of current research is quantum information sciences, where his group uses trapped atomic ions and a range of photonics technologies in an effort to construct a scalable quantum information processors and quantum communication networks. His research focuses on introduction of new technologies, such as micro fabricated ion traps, optical micro-electromechanical systems, advanced single photon detectors, compact cryogenics and vacuum technologies, towards a functional integration of quantum information processing systems.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Physics
- Office Location: 701 W Main Street, Suite 400, Durham, NC 27701
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5258
- Email Address: email@example.com
Quantum Computing with Trapped Ions, Quantum Information Science, Novel Photonic Devices, Application of Quantum Computers
- ECE 541: Advanced Optics
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 722: Quantum Electronics
In the News
- Duke Is Building a World-Class Team for the Quantum Computing Race (Nov 12, 2020)
- Duke to Lead $15 Million Program to Create First Practical Quantum Computer (Aug 7, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Venture Firms Back Startup with Novel Twist on Quantum Computing (Jul 26, 2017 | The Wall Street Journal)
- From the Abacus to Supercomputers to Quantum Computers (Jun 12, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Photonics Researchers Continue Steps Toward's World's First Quantum Computer (Feb 12, 2016)
- Grant Targets Quantum Computing’s Error Control Challenge (Jan 6, 2016)
- Pratt Engineers Awarded Four Department of Defense Grants (Jun 18, 2013)
- Aikyo, Y; Vrijsen, G; Noel, TW; Kato, A; Ivory, MK; Kim, J, Vacuum characterization of a compact room-temperature trapped ion system, Applied Physics Letters, vol 117 no. 23 (2020) [10.1063/5.0029236] [abs].
- Nam, Y; Chen, JS; Pisenti, NC; Wright, K; Delaney, C; Maslov, D; Brown, KR; Allen, S; Amini, JM; Apisdorf, J; Beck, KM; Blinov, A; Chaplin, V; Chmielewski, M; Collins, C; Debnath, S; Hudek, KM; Ducore, AM; Keesan, M; Kreikemeier, SM; Mizrahi, J; Solomon, P; Williams, M; Wong-Campos, JD; Moehring, D; Monroe, C; Kim, J, Ground-state energy estimation of the water molecule on a trapped-ion quantum computer, Npj Quantum Information, vol 6 no. 1 (2020) [10.1038/s41534-020-0259-3] [abs].
- Shea, ME; Baker, PM; Joseph, JA; Kim, J; Gauthier, DJ, Submillisecond, nondestructive, time-resolved quantum-state readout of a single, trapped neutral atom, Physical Review A, vol 102 no. 5 (2020) [10.1103/PhysRevA.102.053101] [abs].
- Wang, Y; Crain, S; Fang, C; Zhang, B; Huang, S; Liang, Q; Leung, PH; Brown, KR; Kim, J, High-Fidelity Two-Qubit Gates Using a Microelectromechanical-System-Based Beam Steering System for Individual Qubit Addressing., Physical Review Letters, vol 125 no. 15 (2020) [10.1103/physrevlett.125.150505] [abs].
- Cahall, C; Islam, NT; Gauthier, DJ; Kim, J, Multimode Time-Delay Interferometer for Free-Space Quantum Communication, Physical Review Applied, vol 13 no. 2 (2020) [10.1103/PhysRevApplied.13.024047] [abs].