Kenneth R Brown
Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Prof. Brown's research interest is the control of quantum systems for both understanding the natural world and developing new technologies. His current research areas are the development of robust quantum computers and the study of molecular properties at cold and ultracold temperatures.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Physics
- Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Office Location: 701 W Main St, Suite 400, Durham, NC 27701
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1376
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of California - Berkeley, 2003
- B.S. University of Puget Sound, 1998
Quantum error correction, quantum control, quantum computer architecture, ion trap quantum computing, and the spectroscopy of sympathetically cooled molecular ions
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. American Physical Society. 2018
- Experienced Research Fellow. Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. 2015
- Kavli Fellow. Kavli Foundation and National Academy of Science. 2013
- ECE 270DL: Fields and Waves: Fundamentals of Information Propagation
- ECE 270L9: Fields and Waves: Fundamentals of Information Propagation (Lab)
- ECE 420: Introduction to Quantum Engineering
- ECE 495: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 520: Graduate Introduction to Quantum Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 621: Quantum Error Correction
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- HOUSECS 59: House Course
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study
- PHYSICS 495: Thesis Independent Study
- PHYSICS 590: Selected Topics in Theoretical Physics
In the News
- Quantum Computers Can Be Better Than the Sum of Their Parts (Oct 15, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Duke Joins $25M NSF Quantum Leap Challenge Institute for Robust Quantum Simulation (Sep 7, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Duke Is Building a World-Class Team for the Quantum Computing Race (Nov 12, 2020)
- Quick Course: Summer Computing at Pratt Opens New Doors for Students (Jun 26, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Duke to Lead $15 Million Program to Create First Practical Quantum Computer (Aug 7, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Spectator Qubits Seek to Improve Control of Four Quantum Computing Systems (Apr 16, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Debroy, DM; Li, M; Newman, M; Brown, KR, Stabilizer Slicing: Coherent Error Cancellations in Low-Density Parity-Check Stabilizer Codes., Physical Review Letters, vol 121 no. 25 (2018) [10.1103/physrevlett.121.250502] [abs].
- Calvin, AT; Brown, KR, Spectroscopy of Molecular Ions in Coulomb Crystals., The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol 9 no. 19 (2018), pp. 5797-5804 [10.1021/acs.jpclett.8b01387] [abs].
- Brown, NC; Brown, KR, Comparing Zeeman qubits to hyperfine qubits in the context of the
surface code: 174Yb+ and 171Yb+, Phys. Rev. A, vol 97 (2018), pp. 052301-052301 [10.1103/PhysRevA.97.052301] [abs].
- Trout, CJ; Li, M; Gutiérrez, M; Wu, Y; Wang, ST; Duan, L; Brown, KR, Simulating the performance of a distance-3 surface code in a linear ion trap, New Journal of Physics, vol 20 no. 4 (2018) [10.1088/1367-2630/aab341] [abs].
- Calvin, AT; Janardan, S; Condoluci, J; Rugango, R; Pretzsch, E; Shu, G; Brown, KR, Rovibronic Spectroscopy of Sympathetically Cooled 40CaH+, The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol 122 no. 12 (2018), pp. 3177-3181 [10.1021/acs.jpca.7b12823] [abs].
- Leung, PH; Landsman, KA; Figgatt, C; Linke, NM; Monroe, C; Brown, KR, Robust 2-Qubit Gates in a Linear Ion Crystal Using a Frequency-Modulated Driving Force., Physical Review Letters, vol 120 no. 2 (2018) [10.1103/physrevlett.120.020501] [abs].
- Condoluci, J; Janardan, S; Calvin, AT; Rugango, R; Shu, G; Sherrill, CD; Brown, KR, Reassigning the CaH+ 11Σ → 21Σ vibronic transition with CaD., The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol 147 no. 21 (2017) [10.1063/1.5016556] [abs].
- Linke, NM; Gutierrez, M; Landsman, KA; Figgatt, C; Debnath, S; Brown, KR; Monroe, C, Fault-tolerant quantum error detection., Science Advances, vol 3 no. 10 (2017) [10.1126/sciadv.1701074] [abs].
- Li, M; Gutiérrez, M; David, SE; Hernandez, A; Brown, KR, Fault tolerance with bare ancillary qubits for a [[7,1,3]] code, Physical Review A, vol 96 no. 3 (2017) [10.1103/PhysRevA.96.032341] [abs].
- Rugango, R; Calvin, AT; Janardan, S; Shu, G; Brown, KR, Vibronic Spectroscopy of Sympathetically Cooled CaH., Chemphyschem : a European Journal of Chemical Physics and Physical Chemistry, vol 17 no. 22 (2016), pp. 3764-3768 [10.1002/cphc.201600645] [abs].
- Brown, KR; Kim, J; Monroe, C, Co-designing a scalable quantum computer with trapped atomic ions, Npj Quantum Information, vol 2 no. 1 (2016) [10.1038/npjqi.2016.34] [abs].