James L. Meriam Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Lawrence Carin earned the BS, MS, and PhD degrees in electrical engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, in 1985, 1986, and 1989, respectively. In 1989 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Polytechnic University (Brooklyn) as an Assistant Professor, and became an Associate Professor there in 1994. In September 1995 he joined the Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) Department at Duke University, where he is now a Professor. He was ECE Department Chair from 2011-2014, the Vice Provost for Research from 2014-2019, and since 2019 he has served as Duke's Vice President for Research. From 2003-2014 he held the William H. Younger Distinguished Professorship, and since 2018 he has held the James L. Meriam Distinguished Professorship. Dr. Carin's research focuses on machine learning (ML), artificial intelligence (AI) and applied statistics. He publishes widely in the main ML/AI conferences, and he has also engaged in translation of research to practice. He was co-founder of the small business Signal Innovations Group, which was acquired by BAE Systems in 2014, and in 2017 he co-founded the company Infinia ML. He is an IEEE Fellow.
Appointments and Affiliations
- James L. Meriam Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Computer Science
- Professor of Statistical Science
- Member of the Duke Clinical Research Institute
- Office Location: 119 Allen Building, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 681-6436
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, College Park, 1989
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Maryland, College Park, 1986
- B.S.E. University of Maryland, College Park, 1985
Applied statistics and machine learning
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2001
- CEE 780: Internship
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- ECE 291: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- EGR 190: Special Topics in Engineering
- EGR 590: Special Topics in Engineering
- POE 190: Practice Oriented Education
- POE 790: Practice Oriented Education
- STA 393: Research Independent Study
- STA 493: Research Independent Study
- STA 993: Independent Study
In the News
- Duke Researchers To Begin Slowly Returning to Their Labs, With Masks (May 7, 2020)
- Carin Urges Faculty to Take Ownership of Research Conduct (Oct 24, 2019)
- Carin Named New Vice President for Research with University-Wide Responsibilities (Aug 7, 2019)
- Larry Carin Reappointed to New Term as Vice Provost for Research (Oct 2, 2018)
- +DataScience Wants to Put the Power of Machine Learning in Everyone’s Hands (Sep 28, 2018)
- Duke Teaming Up With Microsoft In Durham and In The Cloud (Jul 9, 2018)
- Webs of Minds and Ideas Bind Dukes Campus (Mar 14, 2017)
- Duke to discuss partnership with Indian institute of Technology (Jan 6, 2016 | Triangle Business Journal)
- Duke Board Updated on Academic, Financial Issues at Fall Meeting (Oct 2, 2015)
- Duke, RTI team for projects, fund two with $100,000 each (Mar 4, 2015 | WRAL Tech Wire)
- Duke names new vice provost for research (May 23, 2014 | Durham Herald-Sun)
- Carin Named Vice Provost for Research (May 20, 2014)
- Elliott Range, DD; Dov, D; Kovalsky, SZ; Henao, R; Carin, L; Cohen, J, Application of a machine learning algorithm to predict malignancy in thyroid cytopathology., Cancer Cytopathol, vol 128 no. 4 (2020), pp. 287-295 [10.1002/cncy.22238] [abs].
- Chapfuwa, P; Li, C; Mehta, N; Carin, L; Henao, R, Survival cluster analysis, Acm Chil 2020 Proceedings of the 2020 Acm Conference on Health, Inference, and Learning (2020), pp. 60-68 [10.1145/3368555.3384465] [abs].
- Shen, D; Zhang, X; Henao, R; Carin, L, Improved semantic-aware network embedding with fine-grained word alignment, Proceedings of the 2018 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, Emnlp 2018 (2020), pp. 1829-1838 [abs].
- Shen, D; Cheng, P; Sundararaman, D; Zhang, X; Yang, Q; Tang, M; Celikyilmaz, A; Carin, L, Learning compressed sentence representations for on-device text processing, Acl 2019 57th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Proceedings of the Conference (2020), pp. 107-116 [abs].
- Zhang, X; Yang, Y; Yuan, S; Shen, D; Carin, L, Syntax-infused variational autoencoder for text generation, Acl 2019 57th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Proceedings of the Conference (2020), pp. 2069-2078 [abs].