Loren W. Nolte
Professor of Electrical and Computer EngineeringLoren Nolte is Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering with a secondary appointment as Professor of Biomedical Engineering. He received his PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. His current research interests are in signal detection and estimation theory with applications to ocean acoustics, biomedical statistical image processing, and optimal decision fusion.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3471 CIEMAS, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5266
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1965
- M.S.E.E. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1960
- B.S.E.E. Northwestern University, 1956
Bayesian approach to signal detection, classification, estimation, tracking and decision and sensor fusion. Applications in ocean acoustics, and in medical imaging for cancer research.
- ECE 380: Introduction to Random Signals and Noise
- ECE 581: Random Signals and Noise
- ECE 585: Signal Detection and Extraction Theory
- Xian, Y; Sun, X; Liao, W; Zhang, Y; Nowacek, D; Nolte, L, Intrinsic structure study of whale vocalizations, OCEANS 2016 MTS/IEEE Monterey, OCE 2016 (2016) [10.1109/OCEANS.2016.7761101] [abs].
- Kiarashi, N; Nolte, LW; Lo, JY; Segars, WP; Ghate, SV; Solomon, JB; Samei, E, Impact of breast structure on lesion detection in breast tomosynthesis, a simulation study., Journal of Medical Imaging (Bellingham, Wash.), vol 3 no. 3 (2016) [10.1117/1.JMI.3.3.035504] [abs].
- Kiarashi, N; Nolte, AC; Sturgeon, GM; Segars, WP; Ghate, SV; Nolte, LW; Samei, E; Lo, JY, Development of realistic physical breast phantoms matched to virtual breast phantoms based on human subject data., Medical Physics, vol 42 no. 7 (2015), pp. 4116-4126 [10.1118/1.4919771] [abs].
- Xian, Y; Thompson, A; Qiu, Q; Nolte, L; Nowacek, D; Lu, J; Calderbank, R, Classification of whale vocalizations using the Weyl transform, 2015 Ieee International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (Icassp), vol 2015-August (2015), pp. 773-777 [10.1109/ICASSP.2015.7178074] [abs].
- Kiarashi, N; Nolte, LW; Lo, JY; Segars, WP; Ghate, SV; Samei, E, The impact of breast structure on lesion detection in breast tomosynthesis, Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging Proceedings of Spie, vol 9412 (2015) [10.1117/12.2082473] [abs].