James N. and Elizabeth H. Barton Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- James N. and Elizabeth H. Barton Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 2509 CIEMAS, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-0185
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of California at Santa Barbara, 2009
Quantum nanophotonics, plasmonics, light-matter interactions in artificially structured nanoscale materials, hybrid molecular-scale materials and spin phenomena in the solid state
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Early Career Achievement Award. SPIE – the international society for optics and photonics . 2017
- Maria Goeppert Mayer Award . American Physical Society. 2017
- Young Investigator Program Award. Office of Naval Research . 2017
- Cottrell Scholar Award. Research Corporation for Science Advancement . 2016
- Scialog Fellow. Research Corporation for Science Advancement . 2016
- Young Investigator Program Award . Army Research Office . 2016
- CAREER Award . National Science Foundation . 2015
- Young Investigator Program Award . Air Force Office of Scientific Research . 2015
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Award . Oak Ridge Associated Universities. 2014
- Ph.D. Thesis prize, Quantum Electronics and Optics. European Physical Society. 2011
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- PHYSICS 495: Thesis Independent Study
- PHYSICS 791: SPECIAL READINGS
In the News
- Trapping Light to Enhance Material Properties (May 4, 2017 | Duke Research Blog)
- Nanocubes Simplify Printing And Imaging In Color And Infrared (Dec 15, 2016)
- Mikkelsen Named 2016 Cottrell Scholar (Feb 29, 2016)
- New Technology Colors In the Infrared Rainbow (Nov 9, 2015)
- Researchers create light-emitting device that flashes 90 billion times per second (Jul 28, 2015 | Tech Times)
- Superfast Fluorescence Sets New Speed Record (Jul 27, 2015)
- Revving Up Fluorescence for Superfast LEDs (Oct 13, 2014)
- Superfast LEDs to improve light-based telecommunications (Oct 13, 2014 | NDTV)
- Two Win Powe Award from Oak Ridge (Jul 28, 2014)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- Shen, Q; Hoang, TB; Yang, G; Wheeler, VD; Mikkelsen, MH, Probing the origin of highly-efficient third-harmonic generation in plasmonic nanogaps, Optics Express, vol 26 no. 16 (2018), pp. 20718-20725 [10.1364/OE.26.020718] [abs].
- Huang, J; Akselrod, GM; Ming, T; Kong, J; Mikkelsen, MH, Tailored Emission Spectrum of 2D Semiconductors Using Plasmonic Nanocavities, Acs Photonics, vol 5 no. 2 (2018), pp. 552-558 [10.1021/acsphotonics.7b01085] [abs].
- Wilson, WM; Stewart, JW; Mikkelsen, MH, Surpassing Single Line Width Active Tuning with Photochromic Molecules Coupled to Plasmonic Nanoantennas., Nano Letters, vol 18 no. 2 (2018), pp. 853-858 [10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b04109] [abs].
- Sykes, ME; Stewart, JW; Akselrod, GM; Kong, X-T; Wang, Z; Gosztola, DJ; Martinson, ABF; Rosenmann, D; Mikkelsen, MH; Govorov, AO; Wiederrecht, GP, Publisher Correction: Enhanced generation and anisotropic Coulomb scattering of hot electrons in an ultra-broadband plasmonic nanopatch metasurface., Nature Communications, vol 8 no. 1 (2017) [10.1038/s41467-017-02106-x] [abs].
- Hoang, TB; Akselrod, GM; Yang, A; Odom, TW; Mikkelsen, MH, Millimeter-Scale Spatial Coherence from a Plasmon Laser., Nano Letters, vol 17 no. 11 (2017), pp. 6690-6695 [10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b02677] [abs].