Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor of Physics
- Office Location: 3463 CIEMAS, Fitzpatrick Center, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5544
- Email Address: email@example.com
- B.S. Washington University in St. Louis, 1992
- M.S. Duke University, 1998
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2003
Primarily computational and compressive sensing and measurement in all modalities (with special emphasis in Electromagnetic/Optical from RF to x-ray and all forms of Mass spectrometry), with side interests in optical physics, high-performance x-ray simulation, and rapid-prototyping as a means of creating advanced electromagnetic structures
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. OSA (The Optical Society). 2020
- ECE 270DL: Fields and Waves: Fundamentals of Information Propagation
- ECE 270L9: Fields and Waves: Fundamentals of Information Propagation (Lab)
- ECE 675: Optical Imaging and Spectroscopy
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
In the News
- A Speedier and More Accurate Future for Airport Security Screening (Feb 24, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Duke to Lead $5.83 Million DHS Project to Reinvent Airport Screening (Dec 10, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- The Way This Image Is Created Sounds Like Magic (Sep 27, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Aloui, T., R. B. Serpa, N. Abboud, K. L. Horvath, J. Keogh, C. B. Parker, J. C. Stern, et al. “A super-resolution proof of concept in a cycloidal coded aperture miniature mass spectrometer.” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, January 1, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1002/rcm.9477.
- Horvath, Kathleen L., Elettra L. Piacentino, Rafael Bento Serpa, Tanouir Aloui, Raul Vyas, Yuriy Zhilichev, Jesko von Windheim, et al. “Design considerations for a cycloidal mass analyzer using a focal plane array detector.” Journal of Mass Spectrometry : Jms 57, no. 7 (July 2022): e4874. https://doi.org/10.1002/jms.4874.
- Ruiz, S. D., Z. W. Gude, A. X. Hurlock, K. Ferguson, C. Miller, J. H. Carpenter, J. A. Greenberg, and M. E. Gehm. “Characterization of photon counting detectors for x-ray diffraction (XRD) applications.” In Proceedings of Spie the International Society for Optical Engineering, Vol. 12104, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2618954.
- Hurlock, A. X., S. D. Ruiz, J. H. Carpenter, J. A. Greenberg, and M. E. Gehm. “Spectrally responsive edge-illumination (SREI) x-ray phase contrast imaging (XPCI).” In Proceedings of Spie the International Society for Optical Engineering, Vol. 12104, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2618827.
- Piacentino, Elettra L., Rafael Bento Serpa, Kathleen L. Horvath, Raul Vyas, Tanouir Aloui, Charles B. Parker, James B. Carlson, et al. “The Long Neglected Cycloidal Mass Analyzer.” Analytical Chemistry 93, no. 33 (August 2021): 11357–63. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.1c02001.