Assistant Professor of the Practice in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Rabih Younes received his PhD in Computer Engineering from Virginia Tech in 2018 after receiving his BE and MSE in Computer Engineering from the Lebanese American University in 2011 and 2013, respectively. Rabih speaks nine languages (fluent in three) and holds a number of certificates in education, networking, IT, and skydiving. He is also a member of several honor societies, including Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, Phi Kappa Phi, and Golden Key.
Rabih has a passion for both teaching and research; he has been teaching since he was a teenager, and his research interests include wearable computing, activity recognition, context awareness, machine learning, engineering education, and Middle Eastern politics. As a professor, Rabih is committed to helping his students achieve their goals and providing them with opportunities to realize that. He also focuses on their personal development and on improving their abilities to be critical thinkers, better communicators, and active members of their community and the world.
More information can be found on his personal website: www.rabihyounes.com.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of the Practice in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: 204 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5051
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Virginia Polytech Institute and State University, 2018
- M.S. Lebanese American University (Lebanon), 2013
Wearable computing, activity recognition, context awareness, machine learning, engineering education, and Middle Eastern politics
- COMPSCI 350L: Digital Systems
- ECE 291: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 350L: Digital Systems
- ECE 391: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 496: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 550D: Fundamentals of Computer Systems and Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 650: Systems Programming and Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
In the News
- Rabih Younes: Interfacing With Industry (Oct 8, 2021 | Duke ECE Magazine 2021-2022)
- Designed for Women, by Women (May 7, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Cybersecurity Tips While Working Remotely (Apr 8, 2020 | Duke Today)
- Rabih Younes: Integrating Machine Learning with Motion-Capturing Wearable Devices (Sep 17, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Luo, J; Li, X; Younes, R, Toward Data Augmentation and Interpretation in Sensor-Based Fine-Grained Hand Activity Recognition, Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol 1370 (2021), pp. 30-42 [10.1007/978-981-16-0575-8_3] [abs].
- Li, X; Luo, J; Younes, R, ActivityGAN: Generative adversarial networks for data augmentation in sensor-based human activity recognition, Ubicomp/Iswc 2020 Adjunct Proceedings of the 2020 Acm International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2020 Acm International Symposium on Wearable Computers (2020), pp. 249-254 [10.1145/3410530.3414367] [abs].
- Younes, R; Sadler, C, Simple steps to lower student stress in a digital systems course while maintaining high standards and expectations, Asee Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings, vol 2020-June (2020) [abs].
- Li, X; Younes, R; Bairaktarova, D; Guo, Q, Predicting Spatial Visualization Problems' Difficulty Level from Eye-Tracking Data., Sensors (Basel, Switzerland), vol 20 no. 7 (2020) [10.3390/s20071949] [abs].
- Younes, R; Bairaktarova, D, ViTA: A flexible CAD-tool-independent automatic grading platform for two-dimensional CAD drawings, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education (2020) [10.1177/0306419020947688] [abs].