Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
William T. Joines earned the BS degree from North Carolina State University, MS, and PhD degrees from Duke University (all in electrical engineering) in 1959, 1961, and 1964, respectively. After high school and before college he served for four years in the United States Air Force (1951-1955) as an airborne radar technician. From 1959 to 1966 he was a Member of the Technical Staff of Bell Telephone Laboratories doing research and development of missile tracking and guidance radar. He joined the Electrical Engineering Department of Duke University as an Assistant Professor in 1966. He was appointed as an Associate Professor in 1968 and a Full Professor in 1979. His current research interests include electromagnetic field and wave interactions with materials and structures. He is a member of the Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, Phi Kappa Phi, and Sigma Xi, honor societies. He is a Life Fellow of the IEEE, a recent recipient of the Outstanding Engineering Educator Award from the IEEE, and the Scientific and Technical Achievement Award presented by the Environmental Protection Agency. He has supervised more than 60 graduate students in their thesis and dissertation research leading to their MS and PhD degrees.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3467 CIEMAS Engineering Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5281
- Email Address: email@example.com
- B.S.E.E. North Carolina State University, 1959
- M.S.E.E. Duke University, 1961
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1964
Electromagnetic field and wave interactions with materials and structures
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Life Fellow of IEEE. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2008
- ECE 340L: Optics and Photonics
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 572: Electromagnetic Communication Systems
- ECE 573: Optical Communication Systems
- ECE 575: Microwave Electronic Circuits
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- PHYSICS 320L: Optics and Photonics
- VMS 325L: Optics and Photonics
- Li, J., W. Qiu, P. Xiao, Z. Liu, G. Li, W. T. Joines, and S. Liao. “An Adaptive Evolutionary Neural Network-Based Optimization Design Method for Wideband Dual-Polarized Antennas.” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 71, no. 10 (October 1, 2023): 8165–72. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2023.3301882.
- Feng, N., X. Wang, Y. Zhang, B. Hong, L. Yang, Z. Huang, and W. T. Joines. “Near-unity broadband infrared absorption in a graphene-black phosphorus bimodal triple-layer structure.” Optical Materials Express 13, no. 6 (June 1, 2023): 1535–46. https://doi.org/10.1364/OME.489810.
- Fang, J., J. Li, P. Xiao, J. Dong, G. Li, S. Du, and W. T. Joines. “Coupling Mode Transformation-Based Dielectric Surface and Metasurface for Antenna Decoupler.” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 71, no. 1 (January 1, 2023): 1123–28. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2022.3217178.
- Xiao, P., J. Li, Y. Qiu, Z. Liu, C. Zhang, G. Li, and W. T. Joines. “Eigenmode-BLT-Based Method for Calculating the Coupling to Microstrip Antenna Inside a Cavity.” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 70, no. 5 (May 1, 2022): 3515–22. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2021.3137232.
- Li, J., J. Fang, P. Xiao, J. Dong, S. Du, G. Li, and W. T. Joines. “A Fan-Shaped Compact Water Antenna With Wide Bandwidth and Optical Transparence.” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 70, no. 4 (April 1, 2022): 3017–21. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2021.3137427.