Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Yiran Chen received B.S and M.S. from Tsinghua University and Ph.D. from Purdue University in 2005. After five years in industry, he joined University of Pittsburgh in 2010 as Assistant Professor and then promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2014, held Bicentennial Alumni Faculty Fellow. He now is a tenured Associate Professor of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University and serving as the director of NSF Industry–University Cooperative Research Center (IUCRC) for Alternative Sustainable and Intelligent Computing (ASIC) and co-director of Duke Center for Evolutionary Intelligence (CEI), focusing on the research of new memory and storage systems, machine learning and neuromorphic computing, and mobile computing systems. Dr. Chen has published one book and more than 350 technical publications and has been granted 93 US patents. He serves or served the associate editor of several IEEE and ACM transactions/journals and served on the technical and organization committees of more than 50 international conferences. He received 6 best paper awards and 12 best paper nominations from international conferences. He is the recipient of NSF CAREER award and ACM SIGDA outstanding new faculty award. He is the Fellow of IEEE and Distinguished Member of ACM, a distinguished lecturer of IEEE CEDA, and the recipient of the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor of Computer Science
- Office Location: 130 Hudson Hall, 100 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27519
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1372
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Purdue University, 2005
Nonvolatile memory and storage systems, neuromorphic computing, and mobile applications.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- IEEE Fellow. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018
- COMPSCI 350L: Digital Systems
- ECE 350L: Digital Systems
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 550D: Fundamentals of Computer Systems and Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
In the News
- Li, S; Xiao, N; Wang, P; Sun, G; Wang, X; Chen, Y; Li, H; Cong, J; Zhang, T, RC-NVM: Dual-Addressing Non-Volatile Memory Architecture Supporting Both Row and Column Memory Accesses, Ieee Transactions on Computers, vol 68 no. 2 (2019), pp. 239-254 [10.1109/TC.2018.2868368] [abs].
- Chai, X; Fu, X; Gan, Z; Lu, Y; Chen, Y, A color image cryptosystem based on dynamic DNA encryption and chaos, Signal Processing, vol 155 (2019), pp. 44-62 [10.1016/j.sigpro.2018.09.029] [abs].
- Chai, X; Gan, Z; Yuan, K; Chen, Y; Liu, X, A novel image encryption scheme based on DNA sequence operations and chaotic systems, Neural Computing and Applications, vol 31 no. 1 (2019), pp. 219-237 [10.1007/s00521-017-2993-9] [abs].
- Yang, J; Wang, X; Zhou, Q; Wang, Z; Li, H; Chen, Y; Zhao, W, Exploiting spin-orbit torque devices as reconfigurable logic for circuit obfuscation, Ieee Transactions on Computer Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol 38 no. 1 (2019), pp. 57-69 [10.1109/TCAD.2018.2802870] [abs].
- Yang, H; Zhang, J; Cheng, HP; Wang, W; Chen, Y; Li, H, Bamboo: Ball-shape data augmentation against adversarial attacks from all directions, Ceur Workshop Proceedings, vol 2301 (2019) [abs].