Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Yiran Chen received B.S (1998) and M.S. (2001) from Tsinghua University and Ph.D. (2005) from Purdue University. After five years in industry, he joined University of Pittsburgh in 2010 as Assistant Professor and then promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2014, held Bicentennial Alumni Faculty Fellow. He is now the Professor of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University and serving as the director of NSF Industry–University Cooperative Research Center (IUCRC) for Alternative Sustainable and Intelligent Computing (ASIC) and the co-director of Duke Center for Computational Evolutionary Intelligence (CEI). His group focuses on the research of new memory and storage systems, machine learning and neuromorphic computing, and mobile computing systems. Dr. Chen has published 1 book and more than 400 technical publications and has been granted 96 US patents. He serves or served the associate editor of more than ten international academic transactions/journals and served on the technical and organization committees of more than 60 international conferences. He is now serving as the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine. He received seven best paper awards, one best poster award, and fourteen best paper nominations from international conferences and workshops. He is the recipient of the NSF CAREER award, the ACM SIGDA outstanding new faculty award, the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers, and the IEEE SYSC/CEDA TCCPS Mid-Career Award. He is a distinguished lecturer of IEEE CEDA and listed in the HPCA Hall of Fame. He is a Fellow of the ACM and IEEE.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Computer Science
- Office Location: 429 Belle Gate Pl, Cary, NC 27519
- Office Phone: (612) 703-9849
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Purdue University, 2005
Emerging memory and storage technologies
Embedded systems, CPS, edge computing, and mobile applications
Neuromorphic computing, deep learning and system security
Low power circuit and system
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- ACM Fellow. ACM. 2020
- IEEE Fellow. IEEE. 2018
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
In the News
- Chai, X; Zhi, X; Gan, Z; Zhang, Y; Chen, Y; Fu, J, Combining improved genetic algorithm and matrix semi-tensor product (STP) in color image encryption, Signal Processing, vol 183 (2021) [10.1016/j.sigpro.2021.108041] [abs].
- Wen, S; Dong, M; Yang, Y; Zhou, P; Huang, T; Chen, Y, End-to-End Detection-Segmentation System for Face Labeling, Ieee Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence, vol 5 no. 3 (2021), pp. 457-467 [10.1109/TETCI.2019.2947319] [abs].
- Li, A; Guo, J; Yang, H; Salim, FD; Chen, Y, DeepObfuscator: Obfuscating Intermediate Representations with Privacy-Preserving Adversarial Learning on Smartphones, Iotdi 2021 Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Internet of Things Design and Implementation (2021), pp. 28-39 [10.1145/3450268.3453519] [abs].
- Chai, X; Wu, H; Gan, Z; Han, D; Zhang, Y; Chen, Y, An efficient approach for encrypting double color images into a visually meaningful cipher image using 2D compressive sensing, Information Sciences, vol 556 (2021), pp. 305-340 [10.1016/j.ins.2020.10.007] [abs].
- Rao, J; Fan, Z; Hong, L; Cheng, S; Huang, Q; Zhao, J; Xiang, X; Guo, EJ; Guo, H; Hou, Z; Chen, Y; Lu, X; Zhou, G; Gao, X; Liu, JM, An electroforming-free, analog interface-type memristor based on a SrFeOx epitaxial heterojunction for neuromorphic computing, Materials Today Physics, vol 18 (2021) [10.1016/j.mtphys.2021.100392] [abs].