A. Hollis Edens Distinguished Professor of Computer Science
Molecular assembly, DNA computing, robot motion planning, parallel algorithms, randomized algorithms, graph algorithms, algebraic computation, data compression, optical computation, and quantum computation.
Appointments and Affiliations
- A. Hollis Edens Distinguished Professor of Computer Science
- Professor of Computer Science
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: LSRC D-229, 308 Research Drive, Dept Comp Sci, Duke U, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 407-1961
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- B.S. Tufts University, 1973
- M.S. Harvard University , 1975
- Ph.D. Harvard University , 1977
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Tufts Notable. Tufts University. 2010
- AAAS Fellow. American Association for the Advancement of Science. 2003
- Fellow. Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), . 2003
- Highly Cited Researcher. Thomson Reuters. 2001
- Fellow. Association for Computing Machinery. 1997
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 1993
- COMPSCI 93: History of Computing, Cryptography, and Robotic Devices
- COMPSCI 531D: Introduction to Algorithms
- COMPSCI 534: Computational Complexity
- COMPSCI 590: Advanced Topics in Computer Science
- ECE 891: Internship
In the News
- Designing With DNA (Dec 23, 2022)
- I.D. Verification, Now for Cancer (Nov 22, 2019)
- Tiny Light-Up Barcodes Identify Molecules by Their Twinkling (Apr 11, 2019)
- Analog DNA Circuit Does Math in a Test Tube (Aug 23, 2016)
- Carolyn McAllaster, Susan S. Reif: Funding fails to keep pace with South's HIV epidemic (Dec 1, 2015 | The News & Observer)
- Fu, Daniel, Raghu Pradeep Narayanan, Abhay Prasad, Fei Zhang, Dewight Williams, John S. Schreck, Hao Yan, and John Reif. “Automated design of 3D DNA origami with non-rasterized 2D curvature.” Science Advances 8, no. 51 (December 2022): eade4455. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.ade4455.
- Reif, John, Daniel Fu, Dewight Williams, Hao Yan, Fei Zhang, and Abhay Prasad. “Data from: Automated design of 3D DNA origami with non-rasterized 2D curvature,” November 22, 2022. https://doi.org/10.7924/r4d223179.
- Bui, H., H. Chandran, S. Garg, N. Gopalkrishnan, R. Mokhtar, J. Reif, and T. Song. “DNA computing.” In Computing Handbook: Two-Volume Set, 1–42, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1201/b16812-28.
- Song, Xin, Felicity J. Coulter, Ming Yang, Jessica L. Smith, Fikadu G. Tafesse, William B. Messer, and John H. Reif. “A lyophilized colorimetric RT-LAMP test kit for rapid, low-cost, at-home molecular testing of SARS-CoV-2 and other pathogens.” Scientific Reports 12, no. 1 (April 2022): 7043. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-11144-5.
- Song, X., S. Shah, and J. Reif. “Multidimensional data organization and random access in large-scale DNA storage systems.” Theoretical Computer Science 894 (November 26, 2021): 190–202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcs.2021.09.021.