Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor in Neurobiology
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2011
- BME 301L: Bioelectricity (AC or GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 518L: Modern Neuroscience Tools (GE, IM, EL)
- BME 609: Optics and Photonics Seminar Series
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- ECE 549: Optics and Photonics Seminar Series
- EGR 491: Projects in Engineering
- NEUROBIO 393: Research Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 793: Research in Neurobiology
- NEUROSCI 301L: Bioelectricity (AC or GE)
- PHYSICS 549: Optics and Photonics Seminar Series
In the News
- Watching Neurons at Work, Using Artificial Intelligence (Apr 12, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- In Two NIH Innovator Awards, Yiyang Gong and Michael Tadross Target the Nuanced Behaviors of Neurons (Oct 5, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Sensor Sees Nerve Action 2000 Times Faster Than a Blink of an Eye (Nov 23, 2015)
- Bold New Brain Research in Neuroengineering, Brain-Inspired Design and Individuality (Aug 12, 2015 | Duke Today)
- Yiyang Gong: Lighting Up Brain Activity (Sep 29, 2014 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Gong, Yiyang, Cheng Huang, Jin Zhong Li, Benjamin F. Grewe, Yanping Zhang, Stephan Eismann, and Mark J. Schnitzer. “High-speed recording of neural spikes in awake mice and flies with a fluorescent voltage sensor.” Science (New York, N.Y.) 350, no. 6266 (December 2015): 1361–66. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aab0810.
- Gong, Yiyang. “The evolving capabilities of rhodopsin-based genetically encoded voltage indicators.” Current Opinion in Chemical Biology 27 (August 2015): 84–89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpa.2015.05.006.
- St-Pierre, François, Jesse D. Marshall, Ying Yang, Yiyang Gong, Mark J. Schnitzer, and Michael Z. Lin. “High-fidelity optical reporting of neuronal electrical activity with an ultrafast fluorescent voltage sensor.” Nature Neuroscience 17, no. 6 (June 2014): 884–89. https://doi.org/10.1038/nn.3709.
- Gong, Yiyang, Mark J. Wagner, Jin Zhong Li, and Mark J. Schnitzer. “Imaging neural spiking in brain tissue using FRET-opsin protein voltage sensors.” Nature Communications 5 (April 2014): 3674. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms4674.
- Gong, Yiyang, Jin Zhong Li, and Mark J. Schnitzer. “Enhanced Archaerhodopsin Fluorescent Protein Voltage Indicators.” PloS One 8, no. 6 (January 2013): e66959. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0066959.
- Lam, Amy J., François St-Pierre, Yiyang Gong, Jesse D. Marshall, Paula J. Cranfill, Michelle A. Baird, Michael R. McKeown, et al. “Improving FRET dynamic range with bright green and red fluorescent proteins.” Nature Methods 9, no. 10 (October 2012): 1005–12. https://doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.2171.
- Majumdar, A., E. D. Kim, Y. Gong, M. Bajcsy, and J. Vučković. “Phonon mediated off-resonant quantum dot-cavity coupling under resonant excitation of the quantum dot.” Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics 84, no. 8 (August 22, 2011). https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.84.085309.
- Gong, Yiyang, Armand Rundquist, Arka Majumdar, and Jelena Vucković. “Low power resonant optical excitation of an optomechanical cavity.” Optics Express 19, no. 2 (January 2011): 1429–40. https://doi.org/10.1364/oe.19.001429.
- Gong, Y., S. Ishikawa, S. L. Cheng, M. Gunji, Y. Nishi, and J. Vučković. “Photoluminescence from silicon dioxide photonic crystal cavities with embedded silicon nanocrystals.” Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics 81, no. 23 (June 14, 2010). https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.81.235317.
- Gong, Yiyang, Maria Makarova, Selcuk Yerci, Rui Li, Martin J. Stevens, Burm Baek, Sae Woo Nam, Luca Dal Negro, and Jelena Vuckovic. “Observation of transparency of Erbium-doped silicon nitride in photonic crystal nanobeam cavities.” Optics Express 18, no. 13 (June 2010): 13863–73. https://doi.org/10.1364/oe.18.013863.
- Gong, Yiyang, Bryan Ellis, Gary Shambat, Tomas Sarmiento, James S. Harris, and Jelena Vuckovic. “Nanobeam photonic crystal cavity quantum dot laser.” Optics Express 18, no. 9 (April 2010): 8781–89. https://doi.org/10.1364/oe.18.008781.
- Gong, Y., and J. Vučković. “Photonic crystal cavities in silicon dioxide.” Applied Physics Letters 96, no. 3 (March 29, 2010). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3297877.
- Shambat, Gary, Yiyang Gong, Jesse Lu, Selçuk Yerci, Rui Li, Luca Dal Negro, and Jelena Vucković. “Coupled fiber taper extraction of 1.53 microm photoluminescence from erbium doped silicon nitride photonic crystal cavities.” Optics Express 18, no. 6 (March 2010): 5964–73. https://doi.org/10.1364/oe.18.005964.
- Gong, Yiyang, Maria Makarova, Selçuk Yerci, Rui Li, Martin J. Stevens, Burm Baek, Sae Woo Nam, et al. “Linewidth narrowing and Purcell enhancement in photonic crystal cavities on an Er-doped silicon nitride platform.” Optics Express 18, no. 3 (February 2010): 2601–12. https://doi.org/10.1364/oe.18.002601.
- Makarova, M., Y. Gong, S. L. Cheng, Y. Nishi, S. Yerci, R. Li, L. D. Negro, and J. Vučković. “Photonic crystal and plasmonic silicon-based light sources.” IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 16, no. 1 (January 1, 2010): 132–40. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTQE.2009.2030777.
- Gong, Yiyang, Selçuk Yerci, Rui Li, Luca Dal Negro, and Jelena Vucković. “Enhanced light emission from erbium doped silicon nitride in plasmonic metal-insulator-metal structures.” Optics Express 17, no. 23 (November 2009): 20642–50. https://doi.org/10.1364/oe.17.020642.
- Gong, Y., J. Lu, S. L. Cheng, Y. Nishi, and J. Vučković. “Plasmonic enhancement of emission from Si-nanocrystals.” Applied Physics Letters 94, no. 1 (January 19, 2009). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3055602.
- Gong, Y., and J. Vučković. “Design of plasmon cavities for solid-state cavity quantum electrodynamics applications.” Applied Physics Letters 90, no. 3 (January 29, 2007). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2431450.